Episode 57: The Truth About Dad

I don’t know how long I was out but when I awoke, I was naked and back home under the covers in my own bed. At first I thought I had been dreaming the whole thing, for when I opened my eyes I saw that Haru was straddling the chair at my desk watching me. He smiled.

“Welcome back,” he said. “I thought I was going to have to wake you. It’s only a couple more hours until school.”

I raised a hand to my head. I had something of a migraine with the smell of blood still in my nostrils. “It’s the last day. I could skip.”

He nodded. “Yes, you could.” He got up and walked over to the bed. “But it might be a good idea to go. Keep up appearances and maybe see who is who. I’m curious to know if anyone knows what happened last night.”

“I’m not sure myself.”

He sat down on the bed beside me. “Nora, I am sorry.”

“Sorry for what?”

“I wasn’t here to protect you as promised. They split us up on purpose, hoping my uncles were too weak to defend anyone.”

I had to laugh. I didn’t think his uncles were weak in any shape or form. If anything, they were downright terrifying.

“What do you mean split us up?”

“The trail of victims was designed to lead us out of town, all the way to the asylum. They knew we’d never get back in time when we realized it had been a ruse.”

“A ruse? Do you mean there wasn’t a trail of dead victims?”

He shook his head. “No, there was. But there was no reason for it, other than to lure us away. Well, except for the last victim.”

He didn’t have to say who that was. The bodies had led them all the way to the asylum. And to my father.

Haru hung his head. “I am sorry. He didn’t deserve to die like that.”

“To die like what?”

He looked away. “Never mind that. Chi will accompany you to school. Luhan will be there too. They won’t let anything happen.”

“Tell me, Haru.”

“Tell you what?”

“How my father died. The hospital said he hung himself. What really happened?”

He hesitated a moment and then kissed my cheek. Perhaps he thought it would bring comfort.

“Please,” I pleaded. “I have to know.”

Haru looked like he was about to cry. He barely knew my father. The tears he was fighting wasn’t for him though. They were for me. He took a deep breath and then told me the truth.

“He was hung. But he didn’t do it himself. They strung him up.”

“Vampires?”

“Yes. I’m sorry.”

“It wasn’t you or your family,” I replied. I moved closer to him on the bed and the covers fell away. My nakedness didn’t bother me. “I guess dad was right. They were coming for him.”

Haru took me in his arms and I lay my head on his shoulder. The closeness cried for his comfort and I let the tears come.

“It’s okay,” he whispered, and his voice was soothing and resolute. I knew he was right. It would be okay. Maybe not right now, but soon. “We’ll find them,” he promised.

“What happened to the ones who attacked your house?”

“Most of them fled. Probably back to their master. There were a few casualties, but you already know that.”