Episode 40: Dayroom Of Doom

The day room was spacious, a large open space where the less dangerous ones could spend away the hours watching television, playing checkers or cards, or just stare out the window at whatever memory had made them a prisoner. The nurse invited us to have a seat at a small table by one of these windows. Glancing outside, I saw the view was pleasant enough; a wide, grassy field decorated with shrubs and flowers. A small group of patients were attending the flowers as if gardening were the only thing that existed in their small confined world.

I looked at Haru, as he watched all the haunted people, both outside and in the day room. He glanced around the room as if sizing them up, and I had to wonder if he was thinking of his hunger and how not many of these patients would be missed by their families. If I wasn’t here, or if I turned my back for long, would the thirst overtake him, or was he more in command of it than I’d seen in the movies? As if he knew what I was thinking, he leaned over and whispered, “Stop worrying. I’ll be alright.”

I told myself he was right and looked around the room. My eyes focused on a set of double doors close to us. There was a window in each door, but I couldn’t help notice they were covered by wire grates, preventing anyone from smashing their way out or in. I was pondering this fact when the doors opened and in walked a tall, beefy orderly with screaming red hair. I would have mistaken him for another patient, if not for the white hospital uniform and the fact he was escorting dad into the room.

I hadn’t seen my father in so long, he almost appeared a stranger. Still, his balding blond head and odd, crooked smile gave him away. It was a smile both bright and sad at the same time, like someone who has to smile on the outside, hiding the torture going on within. “Nora, “ he spoke in a small voice. “What a surprise. I wasn’t expecting a visit from you today.”

He went to hug me and the orderly stopped him. “Sorry, no hugging ,” he said.

Dad shrugged. “I got in trouble,” he explained. “Wasn’t my fault. They tried to take some blood. Not on my watch.”

“Dad, you look nice.”

“I don’t blame you. I’d change the subject, too. Must be embarrassing at school and with boyfriends.” He glanced over at Haru.

“Dad, you’re not an embarrassment. This is my friend, Haru.”

He cocked his head to one side. “Haru? Is that…”

“Japanese,” Haru answered. He’d probably heard the question so many times. I almost laughed because you only heard that asked of non-Caucasian ethnic groups. Nobody ever looked at me and said, ‘Nora, Are you white?’ It’s sad, really.

“I was in Japan once,” Dad said, though he didn’t seem to be telling Haru this; he was too busy staring at a spot past us, and I turned around to see what his eyes were fixed upon. I didn’t see anything except white paneled ceiling and a large square wall clock in black and white.

“So was I,” Haru answered, a mischievous, playful smile crossing his face.

Dad laughed. “I imagine so.” Then he looked at me. “So, Nora, how are you?”

“I’m doing okay. How about you?”

“Well, I’d rather be home, but I guess I won’t be seeing that again.”

“Don’t say that. They’ll let you come home soon.” I wasn’t sure that was true, but he looked like he could use some encouragement. After you’ve been in a place like this, even for a short time, hope just seems to drain from you.

“Perhaps. But it won’t be the same place. How’s your mom?”

“She’s okay. You know, she’s typical mom. But she’s getting better, I guess.”