The Day He Was My Valentine

PLEASE DON'T FORGET TO VOTE

Dear Diary,

It came! Now it's gone. And no I didn't screw up. At least I don't think I did. The wrist band seems pretty lame next to what he gave me. But I really think it's just because girls are really easy to please. To be honest I think I'd have taken anything as long as it came from him, as my Valentine. Even a rock would suffice...okay...not really. But I just like the idea that it comes from his heart.

I woke up unusually early this morning. It was definitely the anxiety even if I tried to deny it earlier. It should have subsided as soon as I got ready for school but it didn't. I was a nervous wreck when I got to school wearing the wrist band I made for Lemuel. Possible scenarios of how I'd give him the band kept popping up in my head everytime my brain had the slightest chance to wander. I also thought about what he'd give me but I couldn't imagine what it was. What could come from macho superhuman Lemuel. It didn't help that everyone was getting their gifts in my class. Some came to school to find surprise presents in their lockers. The school was filled with squeals of delight from girls. The gifts ranged from chocolate to heart-shaped cookies to perfume to long letters and poems of love. The girls seemed to be getting every possible thing but, I noticed, there weren't any boys overjoyed from getting surprises and presents. Was I the only one who thought about getting a boy something? Was it tradition for girls to only be the ones to get gifts? Or boys just didn't react to them the way girls did. I started to imagine Lemuel receiving my gift with a straight face without so much as a thank you and my heart sunk. I hadn't even thought to wrap it. I just wore it on my wrist. How would you wrap a wrist band though? I decided I'd just shove it in the envelope of the card I got him. Yes. I got him a card. One of those ones that light up and play music too when you open them. For some reason, this card beckoned to me. It plays really beautiful music that I recognise somewhere but I still haven't placed my finger on it.

I put the band in the envelope just before break thinking I'd make my usual get away to the music room and give it to him there. I hadn't seen him all day and I awaited break although very impatiently. All my classes passed with a blur yet, at the same time, they seemed so long.

At last the bell rang for break and I got up to run out of the class that's when I heard it. Music. My class was on the upper floor and led to a verandah. That's where the music was coming from. I dashed there but saw no one, still the music continued. It was the Beauty and the Beast soundtrack but there was no singing, just the strumming of a guitar. I looked down and I saw Lemuel. He was strumming the guitar but looking up at me. I was torn between singing and just jumping down and hugging him. I had a feeling it was part of my Valentine's day gifts but I also wondered why that song - I admit it's a love song but it was very unusual. I just watched intently and by then, a small crowd had started forming around him. I could see Jenny pushing her way through the crowd to the front and I saw fury cross her features when she followed the direction of Lemuel's gaze and saw he was also looking up and I was the only one upstairs. It reminded me of that scene from Romeo and Juliet but this time he was a serenader and instead of a family feud, there was a jealous bitch to keep us apart.

Lemuel ended his serenading with finesse, gave me a small smile and without looking back, he pushed his way through the crowd to the building that housed the labs. I tried running after him so I could give him his present but by the time I got to the music room the door was locked. I was certain he hadn't left because I didn't see him on my way up which could only mean he had locked himself in. I rapped on the door. No response. Desperately, I called his name a few times hoping he'd recognise my voice and open up but still no answer. Feeling defeated, I retreated  to my class and went through the remaining three periods of the day. Throughout all this time, I was hoping I'd see him again or else that would be the end. There was no way I'd see him if school ended; or so I thought.