4 • Birds & Bees

QUIL'S POV

The phone was ringing off the hook when I rolled over in bed to answer it.

"Hello?" I asked wearily.

"Quil, it's Ronnie, I hope you don't mind me calling, but Stacy has gone into labor a couple of weeks early, and Eva and Roger are out of town for the weekend. I need help with the girls and I can't get a hold of Emily. Would you be able to meet me at the Olympic Medical Center in Port Angeles and maybe watch the girls while I'm with Stacy?" Ronnie asked in a panicked voice.

"Sure, I'm on my way," I responded.

"Thanks Quil," Ronnie sighed in relief. "We should be there in a couple of hours. God, I hope her water doesn't break in the meantime."

We hung up and yawning, I got out of bed and made my way to the shower. I glanced at the alarm next to my bed as I went by it. It was 3 am. The girls would probably be exhausted. I took a quick shower and made my way to the kitchen where I made myself a large sandwich. After wasting about some time, I decided to hop in my old beat-up Ford Tempo. It wasn't a pretty car, but it got me where I needed to go.

I knew that my disappearing in the middle of the night wouldn't upset my parents. Luckily, thanks to my grandfather, my parent's knew I did "tribal business" a lot and didn't give me a problem when I disappeared a lot. Unlike Embry, whose mother watched him like a hawk and was constantly grounding him. Sometimes there were really nice benefits to having an Elder for a grandfather.

I stopped by Emily and Sam's small home on my way and knocked on the door loudly. I was no longer in Sam's pack so I couldn't call him via "wolf phone." A week ago, Embry and I had approached Sam and told him of our desire to join Jacob's pack.

In the few weeks that followed Jacob's imprinting on Renesmee Cullen, an uneasy peace had settled between Jacob's pack and Sam's pack. When Jacob first formed his pack, the tension between the two groups was horrendous. Since Ness was born though, tensions had eased.

Sam and Jacob still had a hard time being around each other for too long though. The Alpha vibe was too strong between them to allow them to be completely comfortable with each other, but they still put up with each other if they had to. Mainly because Sam and his pack had let the Cullens' know that they wouldn't attack them. And also because, now that Jacob had imprinted on Ness, Sam's pack was bound to protect Renesmee at all costs.

However, although there was peace now throughout the area, Embry and I still had longed to be in Jake's pack. While the pack members considered each other brothers, there was a bond between Jacob, Embry, and me that was stronger than that. It really bothered us that we weren't connected to Jake anymore. Sam, sensing our pain, let us go without any resentment.

I knocked on Sam's door again, harder then before.

"What the hell!" I heard Sam roar from the inside. Sam opened the door so hard that it swung back in its frame and slammed into the wall. Sam was standing there with nothing but a towel wrapped around his waist. His hair was wet.

"Quil," Sam said with surprise, his forehead wrinkling into a frown.

"Where's Emily?" I asked looking towards the bedroom. I saw the bathroom door creak open and Emily peer out, hidden by the door. Looking from her to Sam in his towel, I felt my cheeks burn. Ugh, I didn't even want to think about what I just interrupted.