24 • Something Exciting

QUIL'S POV

I hadn't been this excited for the holidays since I was a little kid. Claire was spending tonight, Christmas Eve, in La Push. She'd had to work the first few days of her winter break, but she had asked for Christmas Eve through New Year's Eve off. She was spending tonight at Sam and Emily's and then the whole family was going to Makah first thing tomorrow morning.

I had driven to Seattle first thing this morning to pick her up. The drive back had taken longer than usual due to the snowy road conditions, but that had given us more time to talk. Claire had told me about a couple of grades she had received and about the different presents she had bought for everyone, although I couldn't get her to tell me what she had gotten me. I was feeling incredibly nervous to give her my present, but I was also eager to see her expression.

It took us an extra hour to get home, but we made it back safely. I grabbed Claire's bag that was full of presents and her suitcase for her. Thanks to my extra sensory hearing, I could hear shouting from the inside of the house. I frowned as I stared in that direction. What the hell was going on? We opened the door and saw Gracie and Sam glaring at each other like opponents in a boxing ring.

Sam folded his arms across his chest, "Is that Oliver kid going to be there?"

I saw Ryan standing just slightly behind Sam. He looked torn between protecting his imprint and lecturing her like her father was. I chuckled. I was so glad I wasn't in the big brother/best friend phase anymore.

"He might be there," Gracie answered in a disrespectful tone.

"I want you home by 9 pm then." Sam responded.

"But dad, it's a New Year's Eve party! And it's not like I'm going to Forks. The party's at Alyssa's, which is only a couple of miles away."

"Fine, then you can stay out until 10 pm. You're only 12, New Year's Eve or not, you don't need to be out that late." Sam argued.

"Mom!" Gracie yelled, sending a pleading look to her mom. Emily was standing in the entrance to the kitchen with an amused look on her face. She looked at Sam and raised an eyebrow at him.

"Ok, fine, 11 pm, but no later." Sam said firmly.

"Dad, you're stifling my womanhood!" Gracie declared dramatically before stomping up the stairs and slamming her bedroom door.

Sam went over to the staircase and shouted up, "Well, I've got a newsflash for you. You're not allowed to be a woman until YOU TURN 30!"

Sam turned around and saw Claire standing in the hall. In a completely calm voice, he said "Claire, how was the drive, honey?"

He came over and gave Claire a quick hug. Emily soon followed. Sam grabbed Claire's bag of presents out of my hand and took them into the living room. I put Claire's suitcase next to the stairs where Ryan was sitting. I figured he'd stay there until his imprint stopped pouting and came back downstairs.

"So how's school going?" Emily asked as we all sat down.

Sam sat in his recliner with Emily sitting on the arm of his chair. Nate joined us and sat on the carpet as far away from his father as he could get. Claire and I sat on the couch right next to each other. Claire picked up my hand and brushed her fingers over mine in what seemed an almost nervous gesture.

"Well, I actually have something exciting to tell everyone. I was going to wait until tomorrow, but I can't wait anymore." Claire said, looking suddenly ecstatic. "I've been offered a chance to study for 10 weeks this summer with Disney Animation in Burbank, California. I'll get to study with the same animators who did The Little Mermaid and Aladdin."