25 • Just Right

QUIL'S POV

I pressed my tie down as I made my way to Ronnie's front door. I was wearing the same suit I had worn to Claire's "prom," but I didn't really have any other nice clothes. I was picking Claire up for our official first date. I was also taking her back to Seattle. School was starting up in a few days. A five hour drive wasn't exactly what I had in mind to get the date started, but it was New Year's Eve, and Claire wanted to head back.

Jessica's boyfriend, BD, was having a New Year's Eve party at his family's art gallery. I had made reservations for Claire and me to have dinner at one of the top restaurants in Seattle, and then we were going to the gallery after that. I wanted to make sure everything went just right for our date.

I reached the front door and ran a hand nervously over my hair. I cringed as I felt the unnatural stiffness there. I had put so much gel in my hair that I didn't know if I'd ever be able to get the crap out again. Ronnie opened the door after my first knock.

"Quil, come on in." Ronnie said.

We walked into the living room. Ronnie came to a dead stop and turned and faced me.

"So Quil, you're taking my daughter out on a date, huh?" Ronnie said, folding his arms across his chest in an attempt to intimidate me.

I almost laughed. After everything Claire and I had been through, after all the waiting I had done, no one was going to stop us from dating, including Ronnie.

"That's the plan," I told him.

"I don't know how I feel about Claire dating someone so much older than her." Ronnie replied, glaring at me.

"Isn't that up to Claire?" I asked, though inwardly I winced. What if Claire thought I was too old for her to?

"Claire has never had her head on straight when it comes to you." Ronnie muttered.

"Ronnie, do you think I'd let anything happen to Claire? That because I'm older than her, I'd try to pressure her or something? Believe me when I say, I would only ever treat Claire with the utmost respect?"

Ronnie continued to glare at me for a moment, before he sighed and let his arms drop to his sides. He grumbled, "I know you wouldn't let anything happen to her. You've always taken care of Claire. It's just going to take some getting used to."

"I...care very much for Claire," I told him. That was an understatement. "I promise, you don't have anything to worry about."

Ronnie nodded slowly before turning and yelling, "Claire, Quil is here!"

Stacy came scurrying out of the kitchen. She was beaming at me and came over to straighten my tie.

"Quil, you look so nice. Any big plans tonight?"

"Dinner and then we're going to an art museum."

"Well, you kids have fun," Stacy smiled at me. I wanted to chuckle. Stacy was maybe six or seven years older than me and she was calling me a kid.

"Thanks ma'am," I responded, which earned me a light smack on the arm.

I heard a noise from the hallway and looked in that direction. Claire was walking into the room, carrying her suitcase. She literally took my breath away. She looked beautiful in a white dress which flowed down to her knees. The neck of the dress was cut into a V-shape and had some type of floral pattern on it. I couldn't help but notice how well the neckline emphasized her breasts. She had kept her long hair down, and it fell to her shoulders like a shimmering wave.

I walked over to her swiftly and took the suitcase from her. "You look incredible."

"Thanks," Claire replied, smiling shyly at me. "You do too."