Could You Repeat That?

Authors Note: Inspiration from Zola206 book of Spider-Man oneshots which I do recommend reading.

------------------

"Hey Underoos, how was School? Do you fancy lasagne for tea?" Tony shouted as Peter walked into the Compound.

Peter did not respond, Tony quickly became worried about the kid. Was he injured? Had he done something wrong? Had something happened to May? This kid would be the death of him. To say he was confused as to why Peter wasn't answering was an understatement.

"Hey Tony." Was all Peter said to him.

Today was a bad day for Peter. He had woken up in such a rush this morning that he had forgot to pick up his hearing aids, and then obviously Flash had to give him problems about it because that's what Flash did best. Then Peter remembered that it was Friday, the day he went to the Compound and he would most likely have to tell them that he could not hear them. Its not that he didn't trust the Avengers, it's just that he didn't want to be a burden on them, he also didn't like admitting that he was deaf. Peter just sat in silence- miserable as he would have to tell everyone that he was unable to hear them. He looked up and saw Steve, Nat, Clint, Bruce and Thor walk in- the others were on a mission.

"Hey Pete when did you get here?" Bruce asked- he wasn't facing Peter properly so Peter could not fully make out what Bruce had said but he caught most of it.

"I got here about 15 minutes ago." He quietly responded- hoping that was the relevant answer to what was said.

"You want lasagne later?" Steve asked- this time Peter was even more unsure than last time as Steve was hard to read.

"Only if you are sure." Peter hesitantly told Steve. When Steve's face crumpled up in confusion Peter knew he had answered wrong.

Clint looked strangely at the boy as if he knew what was wrong. Peter had completely forgot that Clint was also deaf. There were so many lips moving, and people talking and Peter couldn't do anything but panic as he had not only answered Steve wrong but now everyone was talking and he didn't know what they were saying.

"I need to go to the bathroom." Peter mumbled as he quickly left the living room.

"What on Earth was all that about?" Tony asked anxiously

"That answer he gave me made no sense at all." Steve added

"Why is Man of Spiders upset?" Thor boomed

"We'll find out eventually Thor." Bruce reassured him

Nat and Clint shared a knowing glance, as Clint used to act exactly like that. He felt the boy's pain as it had happened to him so many times that he had lost count. He understood Peters struggles like no one else could

"I'll go and talk to him, none of you follow." Clint told them all.

"Oi Katniss, please don't upset the kid." Tony snapped

"Why would I do such a thing?" Clint replied back in mock offense.

"Clint should you really go?- I mean out of all of us here Steve is the mother-hen?" Bruce cautiously asked

"No, Clint's going." Nat said- shutting them all down. No one dared to argue with Nat because although no one ever admitted it- they were all scared of her.

After leaving the living area Peter had gone to his room at the Compound, where he sat and cried into his pillow. He had messed up big time. There was most likely someone coming to check on him and he didn't even know when they were approaching his room. All he could do was cry in that moment. What Peter didn't know that Clint was outside his door and heard him crying. Clint walked in the room and saw the 15 year old boy sobbing on his bed. Peter just felt someone wrap their arms round him. Clint felt Peters breathing pick up it's pace and his crying became silent, this was a bad sign. There was no point talking to Peter as he couldn't hear so Clint simply placed Peters hand on his chest and waited until Peters breathing matched his own, it took about 10 minutes but the boy was looking better.