I Hate Todd

Being blind didn't make me an outcast. My personality didn't make me an outcast. My height didn't make me an outcast. It was everything combined that made me the lonely boy I am today. There were plenty of mindless jerks that seemed to make it high on the hierarchy of this school.

But it was people like Amanda Pullman and Todd Ranger that made sure everyone steered clear from me. They had received popularity however they could, and most of the time it would be at my dispense. I wasn't so much the laughing stock of the school, as I was the school outcast. A shadow wondering around the halls, always following behind the group, never a part of it.

"Amanda noticed something weird in the hallway. Are you finally making a friend Finny?" Todd mocks, knocking me out of my thoughts.

He sadly sits next to me in chemistry. Although his personality leaves much to be desired, his IQ is undeniably one of the highest in the school. And me alone with dangerous chemicals wasn't going to happen. As much as it pains me to have him as a partner, I'm glad I can get a good grade because of him.

"My name is Finnly." I whisper back, annoyed that Amanda practically stalks me.

He chuckles and nudges my hand, making me spill the beaker I held with chloride. Of course it spills on me. I can feel the liquid soak through the fabric of my jeans and a acidic smell clogues my nostrils.

"Mr. Huert that is the twelfth time this semester you drop something. If you are not fit for my class I will take it up with the counselor!" Ms. Kingston yells, although she has already done so. Each of the twelve times I've "accidently" dropped something.

Ms. Kingston, like many other teachers doesn't really like me. Most teachers think that I should be placed in the special education program -away from their sight- but my mother fought against it. My mom is a deep believer that I should still be treated like everyone else. The school board felt inclined to side with my mother after the heart-tugging story of my father. So imagine their surprise when I did turn out to be their problem. I don't blame the teachers. By all standards I probably should be getting help, yet the thought of being further isolated from the rest of my peers seem devastating than I'd like to admit.

"Did you get so excited about Lucas you couldn't help, but get wet?" Todd snickers, proud of his childish joke. His voice pausing to stop himself from laughing full out.

An aggravated sigh leaves my mouth. "His name is Luca. I thought you were smarter than that Todd, but I guess you're not really good with names." I reply.

"I am smart. If you had any brain cells then you would know that you and Luca don't stand a chance of being friends. I know you can't see him so you can't see the fact that he doesn't fit with you. He's tall and athletic while you're short and full of disappointments. Give the poor kid a chance at Wilson before he starts getting picked on for being seen with you. He doesn't need a friend like you." He sneers in my face, not afraid of speaking loudly for everyone to hear. It's not like anyone would say anything. He's fucking Todd Ranger.

The blood rushing to my head creates a deafening, pounding sound. "You say you're so smart, yet you say things like that. Even with a high IQ you can't get it through your skull that I don't want anything to do with Luca." I respond much more quieter than him.

And of course I can't see the fist that meets my cheek bone.

Soaked jeans and a bruised face. It wasn't an average day for me, but it wasn't so unusual. I'm a quiet kid, I keep to myself. Todd just always brings out the worst in me. Maybe it's because I used to call him a friend. Maybe because he violated my trust and abandoned me at my weakest. My mom told me that I don't need friends like that. Then it progressed to, I don't need friends at all. And I believe her. I've made it this far without them.