A Gathering of Fools

caution: contains the multiple spankings of Sherlock Holmes. also: instances of an horrible homophobic family so please read at your discretion, and comfort levels.

"Sherlock William Holmes!

John watched with great satisfaction as his best friend, lover, and partner in crime jump in his armchair, and turn to give John an extremely guilty look. John struggled to keep the smile off his face, crossing his arms over his chest, giving Sherlock a stern look.

"What are you doing?"

Sherlock looked from the woman who was sitting in the client chair, who was rather alarmed by John's loud tone, to John again, doing his best to remain casual. "This woman needs our help, John. How could I turn her away?"

"He called me, he did. Said I needed to come to Baker Street as fast as I could." The woman wrung her hands nervously.

John turned his flat expression back on the detective, knowing fairly well what had happened. "May I have a word?"

Sherlock's lips quirked slightly, and John knew he was suppressing the urge to actually give John a single word, probably a very rude one at that. John narrowed his eyes, letting his lover know that it would be the worst idea for him to even go down that route. Sherlock gave a dramatic sigh, and followed John back into the kitchen, and down the little hallway where they were out of earshot.

"What the hell are you doing?" John hissed.

"Why John! I'm surprised at you." Sherlock said, sarcasm evident in his tone. "Isn't this what we do at Baker Street?  Take on cases? Help the needy?"

"Yes. But not when we have to leave the next day!"

"But her pet has gone missing!"

"Really, Sherlock?" John couldn't help the surprise in his voice. "You called her here because her pet has gone missing?"

"There was blood, but no tracks anywhere to be found. Isn't that intriguing?" Sherlock continued, his eyes pleading with John.

"Sherlock, you told me you won't even leave for the flat for anything less than a seven! This is a missing pet case? What is this...?! A one?"

"Don't be cynical, John. There is blood involved. That bumps it up to at least two."

John gave him a pointed look. "Please tell me this isn't because of the engagement party Harry is throwing us for the weekend."

Sherlock's eyes sparked slightly, and John knew he had gotten to the matter on hand. Sherlock leaned against the wall, sighing again, but this was a real sigh, not for an audience of any kind. Only around John was Sherlock completely and utterly real. 

"Now I know you are nervous, but it will be alright."

"I'm not nervous." Sherlock looked John in the eyes.

"Alright, but whatever you are, it is going to be okay. So go in there, and tell that woman, what's her name?"

"Mrs. Shellstrop." Sherlock answered, resigned.

"Wait, Shellstrop?" John furrowed his brow, wondering why that name sounded familiar. "Do you mean, Mary Shellstrop?"

"Yes." Sherlock said, sounding distracted.

"The author of the book that I love, Shellstrop?" John asked, bewildered.

Sherlock gazed at him, giving him a blank look of innocence. John sighed. It was either Sherlock knew exactly who this woman was, and was using it to bait John, or that Sherlock, ignorant of the world around him at times, had absolutely no idea, and was simply trying to get out of a full weekend. Either way, it wasn't going to be used to his advantage.