15: Move

Namjoon was trying his best to keep up, but his ankle was causing him serious pain. He was stupid, and now he was paying the price. He could feel the blood leaking through the pad and bandage, and wasn't sure how much longer he was going to be able to stay on his feet.

He was beginning to sweat from the effort, but as it was already dark, Jimin hadn't been able to tell. Yet. Jimin always found out, and Namjoon was dreading that moment. But at this point in time, getting back to the house with the medication was a lot more important. They hadn't seen many dead ones, and the ones that had shambled past they had managed to avoid fairly easily, but it wouldn't be long before Namjoon wasn't even able to walk anymore.

"Sarge," He croaked quietly, "Can we take a break? Just five minutes?"

Jimin glanced over his shoulder and nodded, "Here's as good a place as any," He muttered, turning and helping Namjoon to sit on a fallen tree. They had reached the edge of the forest, and the manor house was on the other side somewhere, but it was too far to be able to reach it by morning without transport, especially with Namjoon's ankle being as it was.

"Let me take a look," Jimin said, crouching down by Namjoon's feet.

"No, it's fine, Sarge," Namjoon said quickly, pulling his legs back, "I already patched it up,"

"You didn't do a very good job," Jimin said, grabbing the soldier's calf and pulling it back towards him, "It's bleeding through your trousers,"

"Sarge-"

"Let me see," Jimin insisted, "You need it bandaged up properly,"

Namjoon chewed on his lip as Jimin folded the bottom of his trousers up out of the way. The bandage was almost completely red it was so saturated with blood, and he could feel it running into his boots.

"Shit, that's bad, Joon," Jimin muttered, propping his torch up so he could use both hands. He slowly unravelled the bandage, but as it came away from the wound, he looked up at Namjoon in both shock and anger.

"You didn't fucking tell me you were bit, Namjoon,"

Namjoon averted his eyes, "Didn't want to slow us down," He muttered, "I fucked up. I didn't see it lying there. I knew you'd kill me for it, you told me to be careful,"

Jimin sighed and ran his fingers through his hair, "For fucks sake, Joon," He said, "Did you use the formula?"

Namjoon nodded. They had started to carry a dose of preventative formula with them at all times, to hold off the infection until they could get to Hana in the lab. However, this bite was deep, and to Jimin it seemed as if one dose wouldn't be enough. 

As he reached for the pouch on his belt to get his dose, Namjoon stopped him.

"Don't, Sarge," He said, "I can wait til we get back. Don't waste it,"

"Namjoon, unless we find a useable car, we won't be back until tomorrow at some point. I can't risk it,"

Namjoon was silent for a moment, "Then let's find a car," He said, "There's a tonne in that car park we passed earlier,"

"That is too far for you to walk," 

"I'll be fine," Namjoon insisted, "It'll take half an hour, tops,"

Jimin turned when he heard shuffling and the telltale sounds of the moaning of dead ones.

"Shit," He muttered, getting to his feet, "We have no choice, come on,"

The Sergeant quickly wrapped a clean bandage from his pouch around Namjoon's bite, and helped him to his feet. 

"This way," He whispered as the moaning grew louder, "Hurry up,"

---

The atmosphere in the house was tense. Hoseok had taken over the watch from Jin, but even though it was late at night, nobody was asleep, except for Taehyung, who was napping quietly in the corner on a chair.

Bee was pacing angrily up and down the room, as she had been too impatient to wait in the watch tower.

"They're late," She said, stopping suddenly and turning to Hana, "They should have been back five hours ago,"

Hana nodded, "Maybe their car broke down," She said, "Maybe they had to rest for a while. Perhaps they had to hide from a horde,"

Bee tutted and went back to pacing.

"Bee, you're making me dizzy," Jungkook said softly. Little was dozing in his arms, and he looked exhausted, but despite Yoongi insisting that he go up to bed, he had stayed in the kitchen with them, "And you're stressing yourself out,"

Bee ignored him, continuing to pace. Usually in situations like this in the past, she wouldn't be so stressed. She had been calm when Jimin was weeks late before, but for some reason this time just didn't feel right.

"This is ridiculous," She said, once again coming to a stop, "I'm going to get Jin and we will go and find them our-"

"No," Yoongi cut her off, "I won't allow that. It's stupid,"

"You can't control me," Bee snapped, heading for the door, "I'm-"

"No," Yoongi stepped in front of her, blocking her exit, "Jimin would kill me if anything happened to you, and I would never be able to forgive myself,"

"I can take care of myself," Bee narrowed her eyes.

"It's not just you," Jungkook piped up, "You have a baby, too,"

"And heading out into the night while pregnant to look for a man who you don't know where he actually is, is not looking after yourself," Yoongi added, "So no, you're not going,"

"If it's going to come down to it," Bee growled, "I'd like to point out that I outrank you,"

"If you're going to say that," Yoongi added, his tone infuriatingly calm to the scientist, "Jimin left me in charge. And he outranks you,"

Bee drew her gun and pointed it straight at Yoongi, "Move,"

"Make me," He challenged, crossing his arms over his chest.

The blonde glared at him, "Don't make me shoot you,"

"You won't," Yoongi said, "So your threat is worthless to me. Put the gun away and sit your ass down at the table,"

Bee stepped closer to him, "I told you to move,"

"And I told you to sit down,"

They stood in complete silence, glaring at each other for what felt like a lifetime until Jungkook got to his feet and slowly pushed Bee's arm down.

"Please sit down," He said softly as her eyes filled with tears, "We don't want to lose you, Bee. Please don't go out in the dark,"

Bee burst into tears and turned, wrapping her arms around Jungkook, who calmly held her back before helping her to a chair. She had never cried in front of anybody but Jimin in a very long time, and cursed through her sobs about pregnancy hormones. She also apologised to Yoongi for pointing a gun at him.

"Fuck," Yoongi muttered as Bee holstered her gun, "If they aren't back by morning, I'll go looking for them myself, alright? Just please, stop crying,"