Chapter Nineteen: Petrifying Plans

'"Lying there with their eyes wide open! Cold as ice! Still in their dinner things!"'

_The Riddle's Maid, Goblet of Fire_

Truth to be told, Abraxas didn't really try very hard to stop Tom setting out that morning to Little Hangleton. He was frightened of his friend at the best of times, and did not like the idea of murder one bit. However, at least the victim would be a worthless Muggle. That, of all things, reassured him slightly.

Tom, showing hindsight, did not Apparate into the centre of the village of Little Hangleton, but instead just outside the Riddle's manor. He'd already been to the Gaunt abode, Stunned Morfin, and stolen his wand. It was sparsely decorated with ivy, and it was set on hill, presumably to show the superiority of the inhabitants inside. He walked confidently around the house and opened the front door with a simple Alohomora.

Once inside, Tom stepped softly down the corridor, listening for sounds in the otherwise quiet house. One door was ajar, and voices issued from within it. Tom thought, annoyedly, that there were three voices and, for a moment, regretted having to kill two more than the necessary one. He moved into the doorway of what was clearly the drawing room and stared at the residents. His eyes widened as he took in the sight of two nearly identical men, only different in age, and an elderly woman, all sitting eating dinner. The older of the two men was obviously her husband, and Tom was pleased to note that his regret disappeared at once on seeing his grandparents with his father.

"Who the devil are you?" His grandfather spoke first. "How did you get in here?"

"I let myself in," Tom drawled, leaning against the doorframe.

His grandmother nudged his grandfather.

"He may be the new footman," she whispered. She saw the stranger scowl at the Muggle term.

"I, grandmother dear, am Tom Riddle," he announced dramatically.

There were several different reactions. His grandmother grabbed her husband's arm tightly and didn't let go, her eyes widening in fear. Her son cried out in surprise and shock, and his father merely glared at his son.

"I thought you disposed of that child," his grandfather hissed disapprovingly.

Tom stepped further into the room. The three other occupants edged back.

"My wonderful father left my Pureblood mother to fend for herself, forced her to seek the last available option, and left me rotting at a filthy Muggle orphanage after she died giving birth to me," Tom snarled in response. "And I had the dishonour of being named Tom Marvolo Riddle."

He turned fully on his father.

"She named me after you, even after you'd left her. That's the definition of love, isn't it? I'm going to enjoy killing you." His eyes were bright with exhilaration. Tom Riddle Senior, however, hadn't surrendered yet.

"She was a freak!" Riddle exclaimed. "She had me bewitched! How on earth are you going to kill me, you little stick of a boy? This is nonsense - this is ridiculous! Father, he's just being silly."

Tom Apparated right next to his father and whispered in his ear. The man jumped.

"How do you think, Muggle? I'm a freak, too."

*

Ginevra was getting increasingly bored with the deserted castle. It would be bearable if she saw a teacher every so often but the only other residents were Dumbledore, when he wasn't mysteriously absent at mealtimes, occasionally Dippet, although he did go off on infrequent holidays every few weekends, and the caretaker, Rancorous Carpe. Carpe was worse than even Filch when it came to patrolling the corridors, and would send her evil glares every time they passed each other.

It was one quiet evening a week before term started again when Dumbledore spoke with Ginevra. He had been investigating; what, she didn't know, and was now back until the beginning of term.

"I thought it prudent to deter you from becoming any closer to Tom Riddle," the professor stated very solemnly.

Ginevra stared at him in surprise.

"And why exactly is that?" She asked, keeping her voice steady.

"I would have thought you, of all people, would know that," the other replied, peering gravely over his half-moon spectacles.

"Yes," Ginevra stated. "I wanted to hear your take."

The old man started.

"He is evil," he spoke earnestly. "Evil to the core. It would do no good for you to enter his web of lies. Why would you want to get close to the person who's brought you misery in the future?"

"Mainly because the future's not here yet," Ginevra remarked, her tone now icy, "and I may be stuck here forever." She heard her voice catch. "If I can't return to my future, why don't I try and change what I know will happen? Why don't I try and save a misdirected boy who was never taught any different?"

Dumbledore had no words for her and, seeing that, she strode away, brimming with anger towards the one man who had been so utterly changed in the future, a leader to all.

*

Tom had always enjoyed people cowering in fear before him, but this time he couldn't wait to see the light go out of their eyes. Also, Tom was careful, and there was no telling when any of the servants would return. He turned on his family.

"Right," he said cheerfully, "you first." He indicated his grandmother with Morfin's wand.

"What?" Both men roared in outrage. "Let me go first," his grandfather declared.

Tom looked at the both of them.

"I'm being merciful," he told them. "She won't have to watch you two die." And with a quick wave, and the words, "Avada Kedavra," the room was filled with bright green light and Granny Riddle was dead.

Tom noticed the two men resisting an urge to go over to their kin, and shake her alive again, but they had beady eyes on his wand, and were biding their time.

"You next," Tom continued pleasantly, and Grampa Riddle slumped forwards in his chair with another incantation. Finally, it was his father's turn.

"I'd like to say," Tom confessed, as if imparting a great secret, "something that you can take into the afterlife. Or Hell."

The older man shuddered, and waited for what his son would say next.

"This is all your fault."

And with a manic grin, another wave, hasty words, and a good deal of green light, Tom's last relative was dead.

*****

A.N. Tom and Ginevra are back to school in the next chapter, with Ginevra totally ignoring Dumbledore's advice.

Thank you for reading and please tell me if I've forgot to edit somewhere or made more mistakes!