Chapter Twenty-Three: The Terror That is Tom

"The ones that love us never really leave us."

_Sirius Black, Prisoner of Azkaban_

"I'm glad you joined us," continued Tom, smiling pleasantly. "These are my... friends. I'm sure you know their names."

Ginevra looked on in horror at the scene. Tom stood, arms outstretched, in front of a group of Slytherin boys. There were almost twenty of them, and some were even from the year below and the year above. Most looked apprehensive – they weren't sure what emotion to convey at the sight of a stranger.

"Yes," she replied finally. "I do. Tom, can we talk? In private?"

Tom nodded, though looking unsure, and told one of the boys to take charge. He then beckoned Abraxas to follow him and she led the way up the stairs to the landing.

"What were you doing?" She began tersely.

Tom affected an air of surprise.

"I was meeting up with my friends," he said coolly.

"You have no friends. Not true ones. You have Abraxas and you have me. No-one else. What were you doing?"

"I was having a meeting," Tom replied through gritted teeth, "with my followers. Good enough?"

"Your stupid Death Eaters? Is that what you want to do? Waste your life?"

Tom had Ginevra up and against the wall in a second, his wand pressed against her throat.

"Give me one reason why I shouldn't Obliviate you right now," he growled. 

Abraxas attempted to pry Tom off Ginevra, but to no avail – Tom was too strong.

"I want the best for you, Tom," Ginevra pleaded. "Don't throw everything away by enveloping in evil and darkness. Think of Abraxas. Think of me. You are a brilliant, amazing human being. A talented, wonderful wizard. You've come so far. Don't do this to yourself. Please."

"If you don't want me to leave you, join me," said Tom coldly, relaxing his grip ever so slightly.

"No," answered Ginevra. "I don't want any part in the Death Eaters. I want you. Just you. Not the lord you'll become."

Tom made an inhuman sound.

"Why do you have to make things so hard for me? You turning up, ruining my life! Get out or I'll do it!"

"I'm not leaving," Ginevra stated quietly, his voice full of passion. "You'll have to do it."

"No!" Abraxas shouted, even as Ginevra forced Tom's wand to touch her throat. "Tom!"

"What! She wants me to do it!" Tom exclaimed harshly.

"No she doesn't! She wants you to choose! She wants you to choose her!"

Tom whirled around to face Abraxas. Abraxas' eyes told Ginevra to go, and she did, slipping past the two boys and vanishing from sight.

"Why did you do that?" Tom roared. 

Abraxas was surprised that the inquisitive innkeeper hadn't already come up and told them to leave.

"I have spied for you, and lied for you," Abraxas retorted. "Put myself in mortal danger for you. Everything is meant to be for the Greater Good. You've killed, Tom. They may not have been entirely innocent, but you nearly took away the memory of an innocent. Ginevra Granger has been nothing but kind to you. Value the people that care. Or they might leave you. Forever, this time."

And with that, Abraxas turned on his heel and hurried down the narrow staircase, before leaving Tom standing alone, feeling very sorry for himself, and in the dark.

*****

A.N. I'm sorry it's a small chapter, but it only really worked this way. I hope you enjoyed Abraxas squaring off against Tom.

Thank you for reading and PLEASE COMMENT!! Only 7 chapters left!