(3) Carlos Ortiz pt. 1

(A/N)

This chapter contains graphic depictions of violence and blood. If you are not comfortable with these themes, 

Why are you even here? Lol

-----------------------------

After a short drive full of heavy metal and Connor's screaming at his dad to turn it down, we arrived at the crime scene. As we drove up to an empty spot at the side of the sidewalk, Connor turned off the radio.

"Alright, you stay here." Hank said to me as he looked over his seat. I looked back at him, continuing to twirl my keychain.

"Why, Dad? She was designed to help us, after all." Connor objected. Hank shook his head.

"I'll only let it come with us if absolutely necessary. It's not necessary." He said and quickly jumped out of the car. Connor sighed and got out of the car as well.

I continued to twirl my keychain in what a human would call boredom until I heard the car door next to me open.

"Come on. I know you're gonna be helpful to this investigation. Dad just doesn't want to admit it." He smiled at me. I put away my keychain and got out of the car, smiling back at him.

"Thank you, Detective." He only nodded at me as we walked over to the holographic police tape.

"Excuse me, androids aren't allowed past this point." The police android said. Connor looked back at me from beyond the police tape. I looked at him with confusion.

"It's with us!" Hank yelled from where he was standing in the front yard. The android allowed us entrance and I walked through the tape.

"What part of 'stay here' do you not understand?" Hank said in an annoyed tone. I just looked at him as Connor spoke up.

"Dad, she might be helpful! Cyberlife designed her for a reason." He protested.

"Yeah, well, it's only gonna get in my way, so if you wanna stay with it you can leave with it."

"It's a she, Dad. She's not nonbinary."

"It's a fucking piece of plastic! Plastic doesn't have a gender, no matter what you want to believe!" I just looked at both of them as they bickered back and forth.

"Um, sorry to interrupt, but there's someone waiting for you on the porch, Lieutenant." I interjected. Hank and Connor both looked at me, and then looked at the policeman who pretended not to be watching.

"Fucking-A..." Hank walked up to the man while I stayed with Connor.

"Come on... Dad just doesn't like androids, don't worry about him." We followed after Hank as we talked.

"It's okay. I never did worry about him, Detective." I reassured him. He shook his head at me.

"Just call me Connor. I don't deal well with being called something of a higher authority over someone." We stopped walking as we reached the porch where Hank and the officer were talking.

"Alright... Connor." I smiled at him as he blushed.

"So, you got yourself an android, eh?" The policeman said. Hank laughed mockingly as he started to walk towards the door to the house.

"Hehe, very funny, Ben, just tell me what happened." Both the policeman and Hank walked into the house. Connor and I followed after them.

"We got a call from the landlord at about eight to eight thirty. The tenant hadn't paid his rent for a couple of months, so he thought he'd drop by, see what was goin' on... And that's when he found the body." Ben explained.

As soon as we entered the house, I assumed there was a very vulgar smell, as both Connor and Hank reacted very strangely.

"Jesus, that smell!" Hank exclaimed. Connor groaned as he turned away from the deceased body.

"Not a big fan of blood, Connor?" I asked him quietly. He looked at me and nodded his head.

"It was worse before we opened the windows..." Ben continued.

"The guy's name is Carlos Ortiz. He has a record for theft and aggravated assault..."  It seemed he was more used to the smell than Hank or Connor because Connor was stuffing his face into his jacket and Hank was gagging.

"Ugh, I think I'm gonna be sick..." Hank mumbled as I walked further into the room. I found the body slumped against the wall with dried stab wounds located in his chest. I felt myself slightly cringe at the sight. It was definitely disturbing.

"According to the neighbors, he was a loner of sorts. He didn't come out much, nobody really saw him." I took note of this as I continued to observe the room, not noticing the shocked Connor behind me.

"With the state he's in, wouldn't have been better to call us in during the day...?" Hank commented. I interjected.

"If we had come in this morning, it would be even harder to find the suspect. Sure, we may have had sunlight, but they would be long gone." I explained.

"Smartass..." He mumbled. Connor snickered. I looked towards the kitchen entrance to see Connor staring at the knife holder with his hands in his pockets. My eyes redirected themselves to the TV stand. I had found a plastic bag with a red substance in it. I scanned the shimmering crystals as Connor walked up to me.

"It's red ice... people use it as a drug." He explained.

"It contains Acetone, Lithium, Thirium, Toluene and I think Hydrochloric acid." He continued. I looked at him.

"Thirium?" I asked.

"Yeah. Isn't that like, android blood?"

"Yes. You humans call it blue blood, correct?" I asked him. He nodded at me.

"Yup. I prefer to call it thirium, though." I looked at him with my head slightly tilted before walked away from the red ice to find more evidence, leaving Connor to look closer at the ice.

"Connor! Get the fuck away from the drugs!" I heard Hank yell. I'm not sure why, but I felt a weird feeling in my chest. A compulsive feeling. Is this laughter? I smiled to myself as I walked towards a knife on the ground.