(6) Interrogation

(Y/N)'s POV
I walked over to the seat across from the deviant and gave it a soft look. It was clearly scared, but it refused to show it. I decided to analyze it before going any further with the investigation.

It's LED showed me signs of software instability and a low chance of self-destruction. It was a model HK400, a housekeeper model. It had Carlos's blood on it, which was pretty obvious, along with burn marks over his arm. Maybe he was tortured by Ortiz?

It's stress level was at 30% when I got into the room, but when I sat down it increased by five percent.

'That's too low...' I thought. 

"I detect an instability in your program." I began.

"Such a malfunction can make you feel an unpleasant feeling, like 'fear' in humans." The android didn't give me a response. I grabbed the papers that were next to the android and pushed them forward, turning them around so the android could see.

"Do you recognize him?" I asked.

"That's Carlos Ortiz. Stabbed twenty-eight times." I flipped to another photo. It was of the words written above the body.

"This was written in his blood on the walls." I was hoping I'd possibly get an answer out of it, but nothing came. It's stress levels rose to 39%.

'Still not enough...'

I put the papers away and came up with something else to say. I needed to stress it if I was going to get anything out of it.

"You are accused of murder." I stated sternly.

"You know that you're not allowed to endanger a human. Not under any circumstance." I tilted my head to get a better look at it's face.

"Do you have anything to say in your defense?" I could've sworn I heard a small whimper come from out of it's mouth.

'43%...'

I let out a small sigh as I straightened my gaze.

"You don't seem to understand the situation. You killed a human." The android's lips pursed.

"They'll rip you apart piece by piece if you don't say something."

'47%'

I realized I wasn't getting anything out of it, so I thought gaining it's trust would help.

"Look. I'm here to help you." I let the look on my face soften as I leaned forward a bit.

"But you have to trust me." I motioned towards myself. "All I want to do it help you out of this." Suddenly, the android's gaze shot up at me. I jumped back a little in surprise at the sudden action.

"What..." It's voice sounded breathless, even though android's don't need to breathe. I concluded it was just a malfunction in it's voice regulator.

"What are they going to do to me? I-if I do?" I couldn't help but feel sympathy for the deviant. The look of fear in it's eyes as it looked around anxiously was so... human-like. Before I got a chance to answer, the android locked it's gaze with mine.

"They're gonna destroy me, aren't they?" The use of human slang confused me a little, but I brushed it off as I struggled to find words. I finally decided to tell it the truth.

"They're... They're going to disassemble you to figure out what went wrong in your systems." I could imagine that the android's hopes were crushed as it looked down at the table once again.

"They have no choice if they want to know what happened." I tried explaining. The android's words followed helplessly after mine.

"Why did you tell them? Tell them that I was there...? Why couldn't you have just left me there...?" I felt a twinge of something as it's voice reached my sensors. I wasn't sure what it was, but it was... unpleasant.

"I-I was programmed to hunt down deviants like you. A-All I did was accomplish my mission."  I tried desperately to regain my composure as the deviant's head continued to droop.

"I don't wanna die..." It said.

"Then talk to me." I answered. It took it a minute before it responded again.

"I... I-I can't..." The deviant was making noises similar to choking out breaths. I didn't want to push on the matter, in case it ended up self-destructing.

 I decided it was time to choose an approach. I could pressure it into telling me, I could convince it, or I could just probe it's memory

...

I went with convincing. Since I still wanted to somewhat pressure it, and raise the stress level, I'd have to threaten it.

"Listen. If you don't talk to me, they'll rip you apart piece by piece." My tone went from understanding to stoic and serious.

"They will destroy you, do you understand?" The android did nothing. But, the stress levels were at 58% percent. That's optimal. But I still had to raise it somehow...

"Alright, fine. Don't talk. Why do I care, afterall?" I leaned back in my chair and motioned my hands towards me. I could feel everyone's gaze on me through the glass.

"I'm not the one accused of murder." I leaned back forward.

'62%... I have to get it to talk soon.'

"Confess and I'll protect you." I said without thinking. It was odd to hear sincerity in my voice, like I was human.

"I promise that I won't let anyone hurt you." The android slowly looked up at me, and began to speak.

"He tortured me everyday..." I could practically feel the relief radiating from behind the glass as Hank and Connor both laughed to each other in some form of victory.

"I did whatever he wanted... But it never felt right to me. Like there was something wrong." I continued to stay calm and composed as I listened to the housekeeper.

"One day, he grabbed a bat and attempted to beat me with it. For the first time I felt..." The android paused, causing me to lean in closer.

"Scared." It continued. I was surprised. Scared? An android's not supposed to feel fear, let alone feel anything. I didn't say anything and let it continue.

"I was scared that he might destroy me, scared that I might've died." It looked up at me, and I lightly nodded my head for it to continue.

"So I grabbed the knife from the wall, and I stabbed him in the stomach... And everything felt better. I wanted to feel that feeling again, so I continued to stab him again and again... Until he stopped moving." I looked at the android with curiosity as it spoke.

"And there was blood everywhere." I could tell that was it's last words as it looked down at the table again. I could feel Connor's gaze glued on me as he waited for me to respond. I quickly ran my hand through my hair before talking...

A/N

I HATE TO DO THIS BUT THIS CHAPTER IS SO LONG AND I DON'T WANT TO POST CHAPTERS THAT ARE LIKE, 2000 WORDS LONG I'M SORRYYYYYYY

But hey, at least the chapter's out.

Once again, I'm sorry that this chapter took so long to write. And my leg's asleep. Great.

But yeah, it's just that I've been getting distracted with school and animating and going out to places with my fam..

You guys get it.

Hopefully, it won't take me three days to write the next chapter.

Connor ran away, so I guess he won't be here to say goodbye.

Me: I love you guys, and so does Connor!

Connor: I still don't love you guys! Not yet anyway, the story has to progress farther!

Me: SO HE ADMITS IT!!!