Prologue

Cane the Labrador Retriever Rhodesian Ridgeback mix^

Viribus is pronounced veer-ah-bus. 

•••

I tiredly thank the bus driver and step through the door. As it's about a five minute walk to my apartment complex I slowly trudge my way in the breezy autumn weather. Leaves fly and dance about flashing their colourful shades that are illuminated by the sun's setting rays. 

Reaching my front porch I fish out the correct key twisting it in the steel lock. Almost immediately I am greeted with copious happiness and excitement. 

"Hey boys, did you miss me?" I laugh giving them lots of rubs on their heads as they wiggle about. 

Cane, my big Labrador mix, practically knocks me over slathering slobbery, yet loving, kisses all over me. 

"Sorry I'm late guys, I had to work a bit longer." Standing up I grab my purse off the floor and put it on the counter, away from the nosey dogs. "You ready for some supper?" Both of them perk up instantly tails swinging excitedly. 

Making them sit and wait I dish them both out a cup of their kibble. 

Once I'm cleared out of the way I turn to them again. "Okay, you can eat!" 

They charge towards their dishes and in about two minutes both bowls are licked clean. 

My goodness I got wolves instead of dogs, I chuckle to myself. 

I go and heat up some leftovers for my supper, sitting at the small dining table with the light flickering above every once in a while. 

The apartment could use a few renovations, sadly rent is too expensive to allow that. 

After I've washed my dishes I quickly change into some warmer clothes. 

"Connor, Cane, walk time!" I call out. 

When their leashes are clipped on I open the door and hastily lock it when we're outside. Taking our usual route, we go to a nearby park that has nice walking paths. A few neighbourhood children are playing in piles of leaves, tossing them and diving into them. I smile sadly wishing I had been able to do that as a child. 

It gets darker as we go into a small area covered by trees with bushes on the sides. I used to get nervous walking through here but Connor and Cane make me feel reassured enough. 

Right when I can see the bright opening at the end, both dogs stand stock still growling. As they are not aggressive dogs at all I am utterly shocked, I don't know if I've ever heard them growl before. 

I'm about to tell them to keep going when I see a big dark shadow slinking in the shadows, drawing closer and closer. My heartbeat is thumping so loudly I wouldn't be surprised if my dogs heard it. 

In my frozen state I don't have the strength to hold both leashes when they lunge towards the now enormous figure. I snap out of the daze releasing a blood curdling scream when I hear the creature sound a deafening growl. 

What the hell is this thing? 

My two fearless dogs square in front me of snapping in the air giving their own ferocious snarls, definitely not as loud as the mysterious form though. 

"C-cane no, l-leave it!" I attempt to call him back to prevent angering the animal more than we already did. 

He ignores me completely and instead meets the creature head on running at it lips pulled back. Connor is close on his heels, wherever Cane goes Connor follows.