Chapter 7

If there's was one thing Ashlynn was not, it was a morning person

          She absolutely despised waking up before the sun, but years of living in the orphanage and then with the professor, had trained her to do just that. As much as she wished to go back to sleep, her body refused to obey her tiresome mind. Hence the reason why Ashlynn found herself wide awake before any of the other Pevensies. She debated over choosing to explore her surroundings, but decided against it, being unfamiliar with her surroundings. She layed in her makeshift bed for a few more minutes, before her restlessness finally forced her to stand. Edmund stirred next to her, disturbed by the sudden movement. Ashlyn held her breath, afraid she had woken the dark haired boy. When he made no more movement, Ashlynn slowly took a step away from him, drifting towards the trees. She ran her fingers over the rough bark, tracing the intricate designs. She slowly weaves between the branches, watching the sun begin to peel through the leaves. The soft sunlight and serene silence almost made Ashlynn think of the Narnia she once knew. She let out a content sigh as she stared at the sunrise. 

       The sound of a twig jerked Ashlynn's head back toward camp. Everyone appeared to be fast asleep, except for Lucy, who was slowly sitting up to investigate the noise. Ashlynn made her way towards the young girl, careful not to startle her. Lucy turned to face her, a questioning look on her face. 

       "Was that you?" She whispered, slightly scared for the answer. 

Ashlynn simply shook her head and pointed in the direction she heard the snap come from. Lucy  got to her feet, calling out Susan's name to wake her. Said girl simply turned onto her side, facing away from Lucy and Ashlynn. Another twig snapped, this time sounding closer. Ashlynn bent down to grab her dagger before gesturing for Lucy to follow her. The pair slowly walked towards the noise, Ashlynn holding her dagger tightly. As Lucy walks past a tree she puts her hand out to hold the trunk. 

       "Wake up," she said desperately. Ashlynn gave her a sympathetic smile. She missed the tree nymphs too. When the girls turned back to the path, they could vaguely make out a furry outline over a large boulder. Lucy leapt forward. 

        "Aslan?" She questioned. 

Ashlynn felt a hand on her shoulder and jerked back, dagger raised. She relaxed when she saw Peter's cerulean eyes. She reached out to grab Lucy's arm, alerting her of her brother's presence. Peter put a finger to his lips, telling the girls to stay hidden behind the boulder. He made his way forward, sword ready to attack. When he disappeared from view, Ashlynn heard a pound battle cry. The sound of clashing metal followed soon after. Ashlynn pushed Lucy back and leapt forward, ready to help Peter battle the beast. She faltered when she saw the Minotaur standing there calmly, not battling Peter. Her gazed shifted to a Spanish boy who currently held Peter's sword in his hand, Peter with a rock across from him. She quickly noticed the crowd of Narnians behind them and realized their mistake. 

       "Stop!" She shouted, rushing forward to grab the stranger's arm. The boy reacted quickly, swinging his arm around. Ashlynn would've been decapitated if she hadn't ducked. 

       "No!" Lucy appeared around the corner, her other siblings and Trumpkin joining her soon after. 

The boy, who Ashlynn deduced was the infamous Prince Caspian, continued to hold Rhindon out towards Ashlynn in a threatening manner. Ashlynn remained on the ground, watching him closely. 

       "Prince Caspian?" She guessed softly. Caspian stared at her, occasionally glancing over at Peter who still held the rock, ready to attack if Ashlynn was threatened. She waved her hand at Peter to stand down, afraid he would escalate the fight. Peter seemed hesitant and took a step toward Caspian. 

        "Yes. And you are you?" Caspian spoke, a thick Spanish accent coating his words. Peter took another step. 

        "Peter!" Susan shouted as she realized what he was doing. Caspian faltered, staring at the hilt of the sword he held in his hands. He recognized the golden design of the lion's head, and the ancient engraving on the blade. He lowered his hand and turned towards Peter, who quickly lowered the rock and attempted to hide it behind his back. 

       "High King Peter?" He realized, his eyes flitting between Peter and Ashlynn. 

Peter stood a little taller, his head cocking to the side to look intimidating. "I believe you called."

Ashlynn rolled her eyes at Peter's arrogance. It seemed worse since the last time she had seen him. 

       "Well yes, I just thought you'd be older," Caspian admitted. Ashlynn chuckled slightly. 

Peter began to walk away, "Well if you'd like we can come back in a few years." 

        "No!" Caspian held his arm out to stop him. "You're just... you're not exactly what I expected." Caspian examined the group, his eyes settling on Susan for a little too long. Susan ducked her head away, embarrassed. Ashlynn raised an eyebrow at the exchange. Caspian's gaze moved down towards Ashlynn, who Edmund was helping up off the ground. 

         "Neither are you," Edmund remarked, his arm wrapped around Ashlynn's shoulders. 

Suddenly a badger appeared from a nearby tree over the group of humans. "A common enemy unites even the oldest of foes," he spoke wisely. 

A small mouse scampered through Ashlynn's feet, stopping before Peter. She jumped slightly at the sudden movement, causing Edmund to chuckle. She lightly slapped him on the chest. 

        "Shut up," She whispered in his ear. Edmund continued to laugh silently, pulling Ashlynn closer to him in an awkward side hug. 

         "I told you not to wander off," He chastised. Ashlynn shoved him off of her a small smile on her lips. 

        "When do I ever listen to you?" She asked, crossing her arms across her chest. Edmund shrugged his shoulders and held his arms up in surrender, as if to say Touché. They turned back to Peter. 

         "Well then, you'll probably be wanting yours back," Caspian handed Peter's sword out, Perer taking it with a hint of annoyance. Ashlynn could tell there was tension between the two, something that would not be good for the army. She sighed, knowing she would likely be the one to mediate the two of them. A job she was not excited to do. 

         Edmund and Ashlynn walked forward, following the crowd of Narnians back to their base. They fell into step alongside Caspian, Lucy and Susan trailing behind them with Peter in front. 

'Yay' Ashlynn thought, 'More walking,'