Chapter 8

Ashlynn trudged through the forest alongside Edmund, admiring the Narnians surrounding her

       Ashlynn trudged through the forest alongside Edmund, admiring the Narnians surrounding her. She couldn't deny the fact the numbers were small, but she was still relieved to see some familiar creatures. The aching in her feet had dimmed slightly, becoming a dull throb. She could hear Trumpkin complaining to another dwarf about her and the Pevensies and the sound made her smile. 

       "Ash?" Edmund spoke, snapping his fingers in front of the blonde's face. "Are you even listening?" 

Ashlynn's eyes flickered over to the two dark haired boys who were staring at her. She hadn't even realized they were talking. She opened her mouth a few times to respond, but the sound was caught in her throat. Edmund chuckled and threw his arm around her, drawing her face close to his shoulder. 

        "I swear, one of these days you're going to zone out at the most inconvenient time," He admitted. 

Ashlynn merely grinned and turned to face Caspian who was watching the pair intently. "So, Caspian, what made you feel the need to help the Narnians?" 

Caspian seemed surprised at Ashlynn's question, not expecting the young queen to approach him so kindly. 

       "M-my Uncle. H-he wants my throne for himself. My professor managed to warn me before my uncle tried to kill me. I escaped to the woods. My professor told me stories of the Narnians, specifically yours and the rest of the kings and queens. When I realized they were more than just stories, I felt a duty to return what is rightfully yours. No one else should have to face the tyranny of my uncle," Caspian spoke bravely. 

       Ashlynn smiled up at the Telmarine boy, craning her neck to meet his eyes. "That's very noble of you." 

       Caspian smiled down at the young girl, infatuated by the shimmer of spunk hidden in her cerulean eyes. He always admired the kings and queens growing up, and Ashlynn was proving to be worthy of her title. Edmund glanced between the two, shifting his weight, slightly uncomfortable. He awkwardly cleared his throat, catching the attention of the two teens. Ashlynn's head jerked around, her blonde hair slapping her in the face. She grinned at Edmund, and held her hand out for him to grab and walk next to her. He gladly took it, happy to know she wasn't completely ignoring him. He fell into step with the pair and found himself walking to the right of Ashlynn, boxing the small girl in between himself and Caspian. The trio fell into quaint conversation, slowly getting to know each other. It was an odd sight indeed, with the clash of heights and colors. Ashlynn only came to Edmund's chin, while Caspian towered over her. The two dark haired boys framed Ashlynn's golden halo, making it glow even more compared to the rest of them. Ashlynn found herself linking arms with the two boys, already feeling a comfortable friendship with Caspian. The feeling clearly mutual on Caspian's part. He had ruffled her hair a couple times, giving everyone the illusion that the pair were acting like siblings. Edmund smiled as he watch his childhood friend joke around, something he hadn't seen since the time they entered Narnia. 

       The peculiar trio passed the time by asking random questions. Ashlynn and Edmund grew to know Caspian quite well, enjoying his sweet company. When the infantry reached a clearing, Ashlynn halted in her steps and gazed up at the behemoth building rising before her. She's could tell it was old, the stones worn from weather and deep vines encircled the walls. It reminded Ashlynn of an ancient jungle temple, hidden beneath a canopy of trees. Slowly, she walked forward with the rest of the group, falling back into step with Edmund. As they reached the fortress, Ashlynn noticed a line of centaurs flank the entrance. She stopped and watched with awe as they regally drew their swords and held them high, creating an archway for the Kings and Queens. Ashlynn stood in line with the other Pevensies, walking forward with her head held high. She noticed Caspian hesitate slightly and fall a few steps behind the others. She admired his respectfulness and made a mental note to speak to him about it later. She saw Lucy give a young centaur a smile as she ducked her head under his low hanging sword. For the first time since returning, Ashlynn felt she was back in the Narnia she once knew. 

       As the soilders filed in, Ashlynn drank in her surroundings. Narnians were surrounding her, some working on armor, others hammering away at swords. It reminded Ashlynn of the first war camp she experienced, and made her fearful for what was to come. She noticed every detail, the clang of metal making her ears ring. 

       "It may not be what you are used to, but it's defensible," Caspian spoke up, his comment directed mostly towards Peter. Ashlynn turned her head to face the young boy, a small smile on her lips as a way of thanks. She was about to speak up when Susan beat her to it. 

        "Peter," she called, facing a wall in the corner. "You may want to see this." 

Ashlynn followed the other Pevensies over to Susan, curious to see what Susan was talking about. Edmund found his way to Ashlynn's side, one hand gripping a torch while the other reached down to clasp Ashlynn's hand. The six teenagers gazed at the wall Susan had mentioned, their eyes glancing over the painted artwork. Ashlynn immediately recognized the images as the Pevensie's adventures. She fixated on the depiction of their coronation, the five of them sitting regally in their thrones. Ashlynn furrowed her brows, confused as to why these pictures were there. 

       "It's us," Susan murmured, just as confused. 

Lucy looked up at Caspian who stood motionless. "What is this place?" She asked quietly. 

Caspian glanced down at the youngest sibling his brown eyes questioning her statement. 

         "You don't know?" 

Caspian reached towards the wall and removed a torch from its mount. He started down a long hallway, not bothering to check if the the others were following behind him. Ashlynn kept a tight grip on Edmund's hand, fearing the worst. As Caspian rounded a corner, Ashlynn could see the hallway open up to a large cavern. She watched carefully as Caspian tilted the torch downwards, dipping the flame into liquid. Ashlynn let out a small gasp as the fire raced across the surface, illuminating the room. Slowly, she focused on the strange stone in the center of the room. It took her a moment to realize what it was, but when she did she felt tears prick her eyes. The stone table lay before the siblings, the jagged crack still running through it. A stone carving of Aslan hung above it, giving the room a somber feeling. Ashlynn took a small step forward, releasing Edmund's hand. She gently ran her fingers across the engraving on the stone, the rough feeling cutting into her hands. Lucy followed her actions, a small tear running down her cheek. Bravely she turned to face her siblings, staring her oldest brother down. 

       "He must know what's he doing," She spoke softly but with confidence. 

Peter brushed his sister aside, focusing on the image before him. 

       "I think it's up to us now,"  He spoke before turning his heel and waltzing out of the room. 

Ashlynn let out a deep sigh, anxious for the future, knowing Peter's arrogance was about to catch up with him. Edmund gently placed his hand on her shoulder, recognizing Ashlynn's stress, and pulled her towards the exit. Ashlynn spared one last glance back at the table, saying a quick prayer to Aslan for guidance. She turned back towards the door and stepped out, leaving the fire burning behind her. 

Word Count: 1324

[Not Edited]