Chapter 10

Ashlynn gripped the feathers of her griffin tightly, fearful she would fall off

Ashlynn gripped the feathers of her griffin tightly, fearful she would fall off. As much as she despised Peter's plan, she wasn't going to sit back at the Howe and be useless. She glanced over to her right, seeing Edmund flying on his own griffin. The brunette gave her a reassuring smile, trying to calm her nerves. Ashlynn returned his smile with a weak one of her own, anxiety gnawing at her stomach. As the stealth group descended onto the castle, Ashlynn became more fearful of the events about to occur. Edmund broke off from the rest of the group, swooping towards the main tower. Ashlynn watched as he landed silently behind the guard, and swiftly disarmed him. Step One was complete, only 99 more to go. 

Edmund flickered his torch, signaling the others to make their descent. Ashlynn, Peter, Caspian, and Susan quickly dove towards the castle, swiftly incapacitating any soilders in their way. Caspian lead the charge, and motioned for the rest to follow him. Peter dropped a thick rope over the edge of the castle, securing it tightly around a pillar. Caspian swiftly climbed down the rope until he reached a large glass window. 

        "Professor?" Caspian whispered while he tapped lightly on the glass. 

Ashlynn followed behind Caspian, climbing down the rope and entering the now open window. She scanned the room with Caspian, searching for any sign of the old professor. She heard Peter and Susan enter behind her, and secure the window shut once more. Caspian approached the large desk located in the center of the room, and paused when he noticed the glasses sitting a top an open book. Realization stretched across his face. 

        "I have to find him," Caspian turned to face the others. 

Peter shook his head. "You don't have time. You have to get to the gatehouse." 

          "You wouldn't even be here without him," Caspian spoke, slightly frustrated. "And neither would I." 

Susan glanced over at Peter, a sympathetic look on her soft face. 

         "We can take care of Miraz," Susan offered. 

          "And I can still make it to the gatehouse in time," Caspian assured. 

Peter nodded once in confirmation. Caspian began to take off when Ashlynn spoke up. 

        "I'll come with you," She caught Caspian's attention. "You shouldn't go alone." 

Peter and Susan seemed hesitant, but Ashlynn had already taken off with Caspian. The pair raced through the castle, taking numerous turns through the hallways. Caspian kept glancing back in order to ensure Ashlynn was still trailing behind him. 

        "You didn't have to come with me," he whispered as they walked down the stairs to the dungeon. "You should have stayed with the others." 

Ashlynn glanced at the Telmarine beside her, a small smirk forming on her lips. 

         "Someone has to make sure you don't do anything stupid."