Chapter 14

Ashlynn sat patiently atop her horse, waiting for Caspian to return with the signal

Ashlynn sat patiently atop her horse, waiting for Caspian to return with the signal. Her troops were getting restless, afraid their king had fallen to Miraz. Ashlynn tried to focus on anything other than Peter's current situation. Her lip had been nearly gnawed through and her hand refused to leave the hilt of her dagger. Glenstorm stood next to her, watching the young queen closely. 

        "My lady," He finally spoke, drawing Ashlynn's eye. "It will be alright." 

Ashlynn didn't reply, simply nodding her head. Her fingers loosened her hold slightly, allowing some circulation to return. Ashlynn's peace didn't last long for the sound of echoing footsteps alarmed her. She whipped her head around and held her dagger up, prepared to strike the intruder. 

       "It's alright Lynn. It's just me." Caspian held his hands up in surrender. 

Ashlynn lowered her dagger. "Peter? Susan and Lucy?" 

Caspian pulled himself onto the horse next to her while replying. "He won. But the Telmarines are preparing to charge. Susan is with the archers. Lucy got through." 

Ashlynn let out a breath of relief, but it was short lived. If the Telmarines were charging that meant bloodshed was inevitable. 

        "Has Peter given the signal?" 

Caspian nodded his head and settled into his saddle. Ashlynn faced the small group of Narnians, ready to announce their charge. The Telmarine boy gently placed his hand on Ashlynn's arm, stopping her. 

       "Please stay near me. I don't want a repeat of the raid." He begged. 

Ashlynn gave him a comforting smile. "I'll be fine Cas. I've done this way more times than you, remember?" 

        "Please Lynn. It'll make me feel better about all this if I can keep an eye on you." 

        "I'll do my best. Now come on, we're going to miss our mark." 

Caspian nodded and tugged his horse to face the Narnians. Together, he and Ashlynn cried, "Narnians! Charge!" 

The cavalry ran through the tunnel, racing towards the Telmarine army. Ashlynn was silently counting in her head, keeping track of their location. She could barely make out the sound of the foot soldiers above her, alerting her of their location. When she reached ten she let out a loud cry, notifying the Narnians to begin smashing the pillars that were supporting the ground above them. The structure crumbled behind them, causing a large pit to from, trapping the Telmarines. Ashlynn and Caspian's troops emerged from a hidden ramp, surrounding the ditch. Ashlynn immediately began striking down enemies, her mind going numb to the carnage she was causing. She hated that her mind had been conditioned to not feel remorse over killing, but she couldn't let it distract her. Caspian remained on his horse next to her, swinging his sword wildly at any Telmarine that dared to approach.