Chapter 9

Ashlynn knew the second the battle meeting was called that Peter had a dumb idea

       Ashlynn knew the second the battle meeting was called that Peter had a dumb idea. She could see it in his eyes as she filed into the room with the Stone Table. She quickly located Lucy and took a seat next to the young girl, the two of them sharing a concerned look. Ashlynn watched as the rest of the group walked into the room, ready to hear Peter's plan. It seemed there was a clear divide between some of the Narnians, some taking their place behind Peter, while others stood on Caspian's side. Ashlynn became concerned when she saw the clear divide that was occurring. 

        "It's only a matter of time. Miraz' men and war machines are on their way. That means those same men aren't protecting his castle," Peter began the meeting, catching everyone's attention. 

Reepicheep stepped forward slightly, bowing before speaking. "What do you propose we do, Sire?" 

Both Peter and Caspian spoke up simultaneously. 

       "We..."

       "Our..." 

Ashlynn held her breath, afraid of what Peter would say about the interruption. She watched carefully as Caspian made eye contact with the High King and reluctantly stepped down, his head bendt with embarrassment. Ashlynn felt pity for the young boy; he was only trying to help. Peter took a moment before continuing on his own. 

        "Our only hope is to strike them before they strike us," Peter announced confidently. 

Caspian's head snapped upright, surprised by his words. "But that's crazy, no one has ever taken that castle." 

Peter looked over at the Telmarine prince, a fury in his eyes. "There's always a first time," Peter replied sarcastically. 

Trumpkin stood up from his place against the wall and took a few steps into the center. 

        "We'll have the element of surprise,"  he offered, supporting Peter. 

Caspian still didn't agree with the plan. "But we have the advantage here!" 

Susan walked over to Caspian putting her hand on his shoulder. She turned to face Peter, a soft expression on her face. 

         "If we dig in, we could probably hold them off indefinitely," She offered, angering Peter further. Trufflehunter stood from his perch above the humans taking the time to offer his input. 

        "I, for one, feel safer underground." 

Peter, fed up with his lack of support turned to Caspian. He took a few steps across the room, stopping directly in front of Caspian. Ashlynn bit her lip nervously, unsure of Peter's actions. 

         "Look," Peter started, his voice tight. "I appreciate what you've done, but this isn't a fortress, it's a tomb." 

Ashlynn's eyes darted between the two boys, reading the tension within their gazes. Her eyes shifted over to meet Edmund's as he spoke up.