Chapter Two: It Was on a Friday

Friday, March 10th, 2015

     Well, I'm here against my will. 

     "Tell me again why I'm at my place of employment on my only day off?" I ask my best friend, Zayna, once we enter the coffee shop I have a love/hate relationship with.

     "Because you haven't been anywhere having fun in a week." She answers spryly. 

     "I was having fun, I was watching Sherlock in my sweatpants, about to have a bowl of popcorn...how is that not categorized as fun?"  I defend myself as we push through the crowd to get to the seating area by the windows.  It's poetry slam night.

     "Fun outside of the apartment, emphasis on outside, hun."

     "You know, it's moments like these where I really regret being your roommate."

     "Yeah, well we just renewed our contract, so you're stuck with me till twenty-sixteen." She gives a grin before claiming a barstool seat as hers.  She then sets her purse on the high table in front of us.  "Perfect, enough chairs."

     "I guess the only good thing about tonight so far is that you dragged me out before I put the popcorn in the microwave." 

     "See?  You're already stating a positive, the fresh air's doing you some good like I said it would."

     "We're not in the fresh air anymore, Zee, we're in stale coffee stained air."  I reply as I take a seat next to her.

  My brunette companion takes an exaggerated whiff, "ahh the espresso, it's glorious." 

     I shake my head, giving a faint laugh.

     "C'mon, Perr, give it a chance, you're gonna have fun," she laughs, "I've already claimed that for you, so you can't run from it."

     "You claimed fun for me?" I furrow my brows at her.

    "Yes, because that's how much I care."  she taps her heart.

    "Wow, random act of kindness award goes to Zayna Ramirez," I clap lightly.

    "Very funny.  But just you wait and see, by the end of the night you'll be thanking me."

     "You're gonna waiting a long time," I say lowly.

     Zayna immediately gives me one of her looks.  "If I say something's going to happen, it's most likely going to happen.  And then you, as always, eat your words.  It's just how things work with us."

     I narrow my gaze at her, "so you're always right and I'm always proven wrong?"

     "Precisely," She smiles with pride.

     "Well, one thing's for sure...my life would be pretty dull without you,"

     Zee chuckles, "Yep, and without me, you'd also be living in a ditch." Zee says in the most matter-of-fact tone I've ever heard.

     It stings because it's true.

    "True, very true.  And without me, you'd be stuck with Hayes all the time." 

     "And that's a bad thing?"

     "Yes, for me." I give her a look.

     "Umm....if I'm not mistaken, weren't you the one who practically set us up?"

     My jaw drops, "I did not set you guys up; all I did was encourage and approve of you two dating once you finally admitted you liked each other.  And even if I did set you two up, I don't think that would count since we've all been friends since fourth grade."