Chapter Four: Lunch Break

March 15 , 2015

     My day's been full of what you except for a barista: take orders, make drinks, take orders, make drinks, and take more orders and make more drinks, on a continuous loop till your shift is over.  

     I'm making a java chip mocha Frappuccino for Paige when a surprise guest walks in, the bell announcing his arrival.  

     "Welcome!" I call out as I cover the top of the drink with whipped cream.  Then I look up, as I always do, and I'm instantly taken back by surprise.

     It's Liam.

     I feel my jaw actually drop a little and I stare blankly at him.

     He smiles at me once our eyes lock for a good five seconds.

     "Hey!" I let out a semi nervous laugh.  "What a surprise!"  I add before I hand the finished drink to Paige.  

     "Hey," Liam replies, stuffing his hands into his jacket pockets.  "How's your shift going?"

     "It's going," I answer honestly, "but overall pretty good."  I wipe my hands on my apron.  "Just happened to be in the neighborhood?"  I decide to tease him.

     "Something like that," he sways on his feet before walking up to the very front.  "I'm on my weekend, so I thought I'd drop by."

     "iced caramel macchiato, or something different?"  I ask as I meet him at the cash register.  

     "Oh, macchiato for sure, that's probably my new favorite."

     "You got it," I type in his order and also his name.  "Are you interested in any of our desserts, they're still half off since we didn't sell a lot yesterday."

     "Sure, I'll take the oatmeal raisin cookie."

     Another surprise.  I give him a weird look, "oh no, you're one of those people?" 

     His eyes grow wide, "what do you mean by that, oatmeal raisin is a staple cookie."

     I scoff, "Cookies are meant to have lots of chocolate, never fruit.  It's one step away from the fruitcake no one wants at a Christmas party, or a breakfast bar before a workout."

     "Hate all you want, you're the one missing out."

     "Mmm, yeah, I don't think so."  I reply as I bag the insult of a cookie and place it on the counter.  "your total comes out to five dollars and forty-five cents."

     "Keep the change, poor soul." He grimaces.

     "Ah!"  My jaw drops again, this time at his brazenness, and I shake my head.  "Your drink'll be ready in a few minutes." 

     "Okay," he gives a short laugh.  

     I stop once I get the ingredients out, and turn around to face him, "oh, to go or for here?"

     Liam looks down at his shoes for a moment, "that depends...when's your lunch break?"

     I feel a smile creep onto my face, without my permission.  What is wrong with me?  I hesitate as fear starts to settle in my chest.  

     Give him a chance, like you always say, you really can't judge a book by its cover...you should know that more than anyone...read him and then make your decision.  I hear Zayna's voice in my head.  I swear she's my conscience now.  

     "Fifteen-twenty minutes..." I finally give him an answer.  I can't believe I just said that.

     "Then, for here." He says.