9

• dis·tort·ed [diˈstôrdəd] - giving a misleading or false account or impression; misrepresented•

Everything feels empty. Everything is so white, so clean, so perfect. Where am I?

Oh, I'm in surgery, aren't I? It wasn't like this before.

Last time it was just black for a bit and then I woke up, it felt like being asleep. This...this is different. Why's everything moving so slow.

There's...my house...my house from a long time ago. Oh, it's my brother.

"Hey Jeongguk! Want to play catch in the street? There's not many cars!" What? He never did anything like this before.

Mom's on the porch. Why is mom here? She died so long ago...wait...dad's there too. They both died. Why are they here?

"Jeongguk honey, be careful in the road, watch for cars!" Oh her voice. I missed it.

The ball is coming at me, I have to catch it. Just put your arm up, Jeongguk. Ah, I got it.

Now throw it back, no big deal. 1, 2, 3, thrown. Oh it went way past him.

"Sorry!" Is that my voice?

"Jeongguk watch out!" Dad, what are you talking about there's nothing in front of me. "Behind you!"

"Huh?"

A car, the same one my parents used to drive. Small and red, barreling towards me. I can't move.

Bang.

Two flatlining machines, a third one beeping steadily. Glass covering the road, bloodied faces, blaring sirens. Help. Someone help.

"I'm sorry, I'm sorry. I'm so sorry. I broke my promise...I couldn't save you..."

Jimin? What are you talking about? I'm fine, I'm right here.

Jimin? Jimin, why are you crying?

Stop crying. Why are you crying? Jimin!

Jimin! Jimin! Please save me, I can't leave.

This isn't right. Something's wrong, what's wrong?!

Jimin...

Beep.

Jeongguk's eyes cracked open, taking in the sight of his hospital room. The sight of Jimin sitting in the uncomfortable little chair watching him.

He rubs his eyes to see clearer and Jimin is already up out of his seat.

"Looks like you saved me, kitty."

Jimin releases a heavy breath. "Looks like I did." He gives a teary-eyed smile to Jeongguk, who weakly returns the smile.

"I missed your cute kitten face. Couldn't leave for too long, you know?" Jeongguk smirks up at Jimin who rolls his eyes but keeps his small smile.

"Your heart stopped for 15 minutes, Jeongguk. We really thought we lost you back there."

"You never gave up though, did you?"

"Neither did you."

The two just stare at each other in silence, taking in each other's presence. After a few minutes of complete quiet, Jeongguk broke it.

"You know how they talk about seeing 'the light' as you die? I think I saw that." Jimin quirks his eyebrow upwards.

"And what did you see?"

"Well, my parents were there. And brother. Then suddenly you appeared and I was reminded that I had to tell you something too important to leave behind."

"What's that?"

Jeongguk takes Jimin's hand in his own before taking a deep breath.

"I actually do like the blue jello. I just wanted green that day." Jimin ripped his hand out of Jeongguk's grasp.

"Do not lie to me Jeon Jeongguk. Is that really the reason you came literally back from the dead? To tell me you like blue jello?!" Jeongguk's laugh echoes through the room.

"No, no. That was just to see your cute angry face. But you really were the reason I came back. I heard your voice. It said something about breaking your promise and then I saw you crying. I couldn't just leave you crying, especially when I didn't know why."

Jimin takes Jeongguk's hand back into his. "Well, I'm glad you came back. After all, that was the last surgery. There's no more now. Just two weeks of observation and healing time. Hopefully you'll never have to go back into the operating room."

"I hope so too. Thanks for saving me...again." Jeongguk squeezes Jimin's hand and laughs as he gains a little blush on his cheeks.

"It's my job. But also, I think I would have missed you a little. You've kind of grown on me." Jeongguk's face becomes covered with a toothy smile, mimicking that of a bunny rabbit.

"So...about that jello..." Jimin sighs in annoyance at Jeongguk's statement and rolls his eyes.

"I take back everything I said." Jimin begins to leave but Jeongguk pulls him back by his hand.

"Wait! I have one more thing I want to tell you." Jimin huffs and lifts his eyebrow.

"And what would that be?" Jeongguk motions Jimin to come closer so he can whisper in his ear, he complies hesitantly.

Without saying a word Jeongguk places a kiss to Jimin's cheek causing his face to burn a fiery red. Jimin pulls away from Jeongguk and covers his face, embarrassed.

"Did I really want to save you?" Jimin stutters out between nervous giggles.

Jeongguk smiles cheekily, happy at Jimin's reaction.

"You'll always save me, won't you?"