33

• per·mis·sion [pərˈmiSHən] - the act of allowing something to happen, or allowing someone to do something •

The next week passed quickly. Jimin went to work and Jeongguk finally got back to his job at a motorcycle warehouse and they worked relentlessly. They only saw each other late at night with a shared meal and then right to bed.

Then came the night before Thanksgiving. Jeongguk was becoming more nervous by the minute, he had never had to go through the process of 'meeting the parents' before. He was also excited to be able to see his brother again, although it had only been a week since they last saw each other.

Jimin looks over from his book to see Jeongguk's worried expression as he stares at the ceiling above them, observing the tiny cracks coming in from the edges.

Jimin takes Jeongguk's hand in his and softly says, "Don't be nervous, Jeongguk. They'll love you. Trust me."

Jeongguk looks over to Jimin who had a smile plastered on his face. He gives a squeeze to Jimin's hand and mouths thank you.

They fall asleep soundly in each others arms as a light snow falls down on the other side of their windows.

They wake up the next morning to the ground covered in white.

"Jeongguk look! There's so much snow!" Jimin gets up and gestures out the window. Jeongguk follows his actions.

"Wow! Perfect for Thanksgiving." Jeongguk smiles.

Jimin's parents lived pretty far, about an hour drive. So the two boys got ready and set off on their journey, ready to help make a huge Thanksgiving feast. Jeongguk made sure to send a quick text to Junghyun with the address.

They arrived to Jimin's parent's house about an hour later. The house was cute and comfortable, with gray side paneling and a bright red door in the middle of a small front porch.

Right along the front walkway there was a mailbox that was a mini replica of the bigger house in front of them, the number 102 painted on the side of it. How ironic.

Jimin's parents met them at the door, arms already outstretched waiting for hugs.

"Well you must be Jeongguk! It's so nice to finally meet you." The older woman takes Jeongguk's hand in her own and squeezes it gently. "Thank you for taking such good care of our Jiminie."

"Oh no no, he was the one taking care of me. I take no credit." Jeongguk winks at Jimin who turns pink.

"Jeongguk, this is my mom, Mi-Jeong." Jeongguk gets pulled into a hug by the woman. "And this is my dad, Pil-woo." Another hug.

"It's very nice to meet you both." Jeongguk smiles warmly towards the couple.

Jimin's mom quickly ushers them inside and the cooking begins.

Over the next few hours the turkey is prepared and in the oven and other side dishes are being prepared slowly but surely. The doorbell rings and in comes Jeongguk's brother and his girlfriend and more hugs and introductions are passed around.

Around 7 the food is finally done and the table is being set.

"Jihyun! Dinner!" Jimin's mom yells up the stairs.

"Jihyun?" Jeongguk tilts his head in confusion.

"Oh yeah! My little brother. I forgot he was home." Jimin goofily hits his head in embarrassment.

Soon enough, everyone was in their seats and food was being spooned onto everyone's plates.

Dinner consisted of story-telling and laughter. Every single story from the hospital up until the drive there was told to excited ears. Everyone shared some laughs and then their stomachs were full with warm food and they awaited dessert time which consisted of two pies that were heating up in the oven, causing a draft of air graced with spices and sweetness.

Jimin began to wash dishes with his little brother and Jeongguk's brother and his girlfriend chatted away with Jimin's dad, who happened to co-own a company that they were quite fond of that made tiny animals out of delicate glass.

Jeongguk took this opportunity to get Jimin's mom's attention.

"Mrs.Park, can I talk to you for a minute?" Jimin's mom turned around from wiping down the dinner table.

"Of course, honey. And please, call me Mi-Jeong."

They walked into a small living room next to the stairs.

"Mrs.Park—"

"Mi-Jeong," she cut him off.

"Mi-Jeong, I just wanted to say that your son has been not only my savior but also the light in my life for quite some time now. He's most literally the most important person in my life, and he's helped me with so much. So I just wanted to ask—um—" Jeongguk stopped, his nerves getting the best of him for a quiet second.

"I wanted to ask for your blessing, to ask your son to be my husband. If that's alright with you?"

There was a moment of silence. Jeongguk swore Jimin's mom could hear his heart nearly beating out of his chest. Then her eyes lit up.

"Oh honey! I couldn't have asked for anything better to hear. Of course you have my blessing!" Jimin's mom gasped quietly before continuing, "Actually, I have something just for this. Stay right here. I'll be back in just a second."

Jimin's mom skips up the stairs a smile covering her face. A similar smile dons onto Jeongguk's face as he waits in silence, extremely happy by Jimin's mom's response.

Jimin's mom returned with her hand clutched tightly around a small object. She opens her hand to reveal a shiny silver wedding band. Jeongguk's eyes widen.

"This was my dad's. He passed away recently. He would have wanted Jimin to have this. You can get it resized and anything else you want to do! Just, keep it safe."

Jeongguk nods intently. "Of course, Mrs.Park. I won't let anything bad happen to it. Thank you."

The two embrace before Jeongguk places the ring in his pocket, making sure to wrap it securely in the tiny amount of tissue paper Jimin's mom had given him.

She then hurries out to take the pies out of the oven to let them cool.

Jimin walks up to Jeongguk and kisses him on the cheek.

"Where were you?" Jimin tilts his head slightly.

"I was just going to the bathroom, I had to have your mom show me where it was." Jeongguk laughs lightly.

About 15 minutes later, the group was again seated around the dinner table, two pies waiting in the center, a slight steam still emitting off of them.

They cut into the pies and each take a piece, some fighting over who got which piece, like they weren't all exactly the same.

Jeongguk just sat quietly watching the lively group of people surrounding him, thinking about the weight of a shiny silver ring hidden in his pocket.

Jimin passes Jeongguk a plate of pie with a wide smile covering his face. Jeongguk couldn't wait to see that smile every day for the rest of his life.

• • •

hehe here you go❤️