28

• con·di·tion [kənˈdiSH(ə)n] - a state of affairs that must exist or be brought about before something else is possible or permitted •

It was easy to find Jimin. That storage closet he seemed to always run to was the perfect hiding spot. However, Jeongguk didn't expect his heart to feel like it was being ripped in half when he saw the boy.

Jimin was curled up into himself, his eyes clenched tight and his face a stark, pale white as he muttered under his breath quickly. Jeongguk was afraid to even approach him, it seemed as though Jimin could break with even the slightest touch.

Jeongguk walks into the dark room and with an extreme amount of caution, gently places his hand on Jimin's back. The boy jumps and Jeongguk can't help but whisper out, "Oh, baby..."

Jeongguk wraps him up in a hug and whispers reassuring phrases to him while rubbing his back. He listens for the boy's breathing to slow down and for his trembling body to finally let him rest.

It was silent for a brief moment before Jeongguk's voice cuts through the quiet air.

"Jiminie...was that...?" Jeongguk didn't want to assume, but seeing the way Jimin had reacted made him think that the man waiting in the emergency room was the one who had made him suffer all those years ago.

Jeongguk felt the rage in his bones before Jimin even got his nod out. Jeongguk got up, fully intending to go and give Daehyun a piece of his mind.

Jimin knew he couldn't stop Jeongguk, he was exhausted. So, he just followed after, trying his best to make Jeongguk stop. He didn't want to go back there. But Jeongguk had his mind set, he wasn't stopping until his fist could connect with that asshole's smug grin.

They make it back to the emergency room and hear scattered gasps and yells. They push through the wall of people, Jimin's face pale with anxiety.

Taehyung's fist is brutally smashing onto Daehyun's face. Again, and again, and again. Jimin notices Taehyung's knuckles littered with bruises of blue and purple.

Jimin tries to call out, to stop Taehyung from causing any more damage. His voice gets caught in his throat and only an empty sob is released.

Taehyung only stops punching when the chief of surgery, Dr.Bang, runs over and pulls the two apart. He stands in between the two boys, stopping them from getting any closer to each other. Taehyung's breathing is heavy and his forehead is drenched in sweat.

Jimin reaches his arm out silently and places his hand on Taehyung's arm, scared to see the anger in his face.

Taehyung twists his head to look at Jimin but the fierceness in his gaze is quickly shrouded by sorrow as he observes Jimin's frightened face.

Their attention is suddenly brought back to Daehyun on the floor, who was somehow still conscious. He spits on the snow white floor, staining it a nasty red.

"Look, Jimin. Your little boyfriend here is protecting you. Isn't that nice?" Daehyun's voice was coarse but had a twinge of amusement behind it.

Jeongguk clenches his fist but Jimin wraps his smaller hand around it and gives it a soft tug, calming him down even without words. Jeongguk sends a gentle glance towards Jimin.

The chief speaks up before anyone else can get a word out. Jimin entwines his hand with Jeongguk's in nervousness.

"You two. In my office. Now," Dr.Bang's booming voice echoes out as he points at Taehyung and Jimin.

They slowly follow behind the chief while a nurse jumps in and begins to take care of Daehyun's wounds.

Jeongguk sends a frightening glare towards Daehyun before following Taehyung and Jimin to the chief's office.

He gives Jimin's hand one last squeeze before releasing it so he could walk into the office with Taehyung. Jimin squeezes back, worried for what was to come.

Taehyung and Jimin sit in the two orange seats in front of the chief's desk. Dr.Bang sighs loudly before settling down into his black office chair.

"So, does one of you want to explain what the hell happened down there?" Dr.Bang laces his fingers together and sets his hands on his desk, waiting for a response from one of the two.

"Well," the boys start in unison. Taehyung looks to Jimin before continuing.

"That man down there, Lee Daehyun, is an abuser. He has abused Jimin—Dr.Park—in the past. I was just doing what was right. He deserved it, is all I'm saying." Taehyung sits back in his chair, his breathing finally returning to normal after his adrenaline fueled fist fight.

Jimin pipes up from the second chair, "So you see, this is all my fault—," Jimin is cut off by Taehyung.

"No. I started this. Jimin wasn't even there when I threw the first punch."

Jimin gives a look to Taehyung.

"Tae, just let me—," Jimin is once again cut off by the stubborn Taehyung.

"No, Jimin. Listen, Dr.Bang I'll take whatever the punishment is. Fire me if you'd like!" Taehyung ignores the glaring stare coming from the spot next to him.

"Okay. I understand the situation, boys. Since Taehyung is the one who committed the offense, he will be suspended for two weeks. Jimin, things will stay as normal for you."

Jimin almost hops out of his chair to try and take the blame again but Taehyung holds him down by his arm, giving him a look urging Jimin to just let him take the fall.

Dr.Bang speaks again, "You better hope that man doesn't press charges."

The three then join together with Jeongguk and begin to walk to where Daehyun was getting his wounds patched up.

Upon their arrival, the nurse then moves to Taehyung to take a look at his hand, which was bloody and purple. It seemed to be slightly swollen, too. Taehyung flinches as she wraps it up.

Once Tae's hand is taken care of, the group turns towards Daehyun, who looks up from the hospital bed. He stands up and Jimin takes a few steps back, putting a decent amount of distance between them. Enough that Daehyun wouldn't easily be able to grab him.

Daehyun smirks.

"I won't press charges..." Everyone lets loose the breath they were holding. However, the relief doesn't last as Daehyun continues, "on one condition."

Jimin stays quiet and takes his bottom lip in between his teeth, chewing on it nervously.

Jeongguk crosses his arms and asks, "Which is?"

"Let me take Jimin on one date. Only one. I just want to talk."

Both Taehyung and Jeongguk take a defensive stance in front of Jimin and in unison spit out a firm, "No."

Jimin, having been quiet until then, suddenly speaks up from behind the taller boys. He takes a step forward, still careful not to get too close to Daehyun.

To everyone's surprise—and Taehyung's and Jeongguk's dismay—Jimin takes a deep breath and says, "Okay. I'll do it."

• • •

hey everyone!! Thank you so much for reading and I'm sorry for the wait!

Just want to say how much I appreciate all of you! I hope you enjoyed this chapter and are looking forward to the next ones:)

Love you all❤️