Chapter Two||Memories

Capital of the Xiang Empire, 1479_____________The next morning, Lihua was woken up early by her aunt

_____________
The next morning, Lihua was woken up early by her aunt. The first rays of the sun had begun to appear, casting a pale golden light over the rich, green lands. The sky had softened to a baby blue, and the clouds could be seen with a shy blush. A mixture of light pink, white, and blue was painted on the canvas of the sky, and it was truly beautiful. Not many people were awake. Some were still asleep, drowning in their very own dreams and enjoying the warmth of their small houses, while others had waken up to attend to their duties.
She got dressed in a simple pink and white hanbok, along with a silver belt that loosely hugged her lower waist. The belt used to belong to her father, and although it's been ages since someone last wore it, it was still nice and firm. It had the symbol of a dragon on it, and for some reason, it made her feel safe and gave her a little bit of confidence.
Aunt Biyu had somehow managed to convince Lihua not to wear men's clothing for today, having used the excuse that the people in the palace would not take her seriously. A woman of decent rank and respected household donning men's attire? Her family wouldn't hear the end of it. Gossip and filthy whispers would circle around in the village like a vicious shark in the sea, and as if Lihua hasn't worsened their reputation enough with her reckless actions and inappropriate behavior, it would be completely ruined this time.
Lihua took two strands of her long, black hair from each side and gently pinned them back with a plain red hair pin while leaving the rest of her hair falling down her back. Unlike any other woman who actually had the chance to meet the emperor, who would've caked her face with makeup and wore priceless jewelry, this girl didn't do any of that. She didn't wear any precious hair pieces, nor did she wear any expensive clothes or jewelry. And almost no makeup, only applying a very faint pink color to her lips.
Meeting the emperor?
She snorted at her unrealistic, childish thoughts.
As if that's ever going to happen.
She stared at her reflection and a satisfied smile graced her fair face. She stood up and walked out of her room, heading to where her grandfather and aunt were.
She stepped inside and found them eating breakfast. Zhao Lin didn't even look up. He continued sipping his fresh tea silently, gazing outside at garden and anyone passing by. A cool breeze, reminding them that it's a new day, crept inside and hit their warm cheeks.
Aunt Biyu gasped softly, "oh my!" She smiled proudly, staring at her niece with obvious approval. "You finally look like a proper lady! It looks stunning on you!" But she then muttered, "well, except for the belt, that one doesn't really go nicely with the dress.."
Lihua only huffed, clearly not thinking the same. "It's uncomfortable! The fact that I'm not wearing pants is making me feel exposed. Plus these sleeves are heavy, and it feels like my skin cannot breathe! Nearly every inch of it is covered-"
"Oh hush!" The middle-aged woman rolled her eyes, waving her hand in a dismissive way. "Quiet and come eat. You must hurry, otherwise you will be late and most likely miss your meeting with the emperor."
She almost choked and looked at her aunt like she just grew three heads. "The emperor? Surely, you are jesting. Just because I am going to the palace, doesn't mean I'm going to meet His Majesty. Plus even if I had the chance, I wouldn't have the desire to. According to all the rumors about him, he's a bloodthirsty killer who wouldn't hesitate to put a dagger in your heart-"

"Silence!" Zhao Lin suddenly yelled, his booming voice startling the two women. "Do not speak that way of His Majesty. You should be helping your aunt with her work and acting like a lady worthy of your rank, not listening to indecent gossip and disgusting rumors. I have raised you better than this." He spat.
Lihua was hurt. She knew she spoke way too much sometimes, and she knew that her behavior and just her in general were intolerable. She was stubborn, careless, and hot-headed. She was fairly aware of her worst flaws, but this was the first time he'd snapped at her this way.
"But it's just what I hear when I visit the village. It's not my intention to listen!" She argued.
"For goodness' sake, Lihua! Be quiet and eat. Don't talk back and don't waste any more time." Aunt Biyu says, handing her chopsticks. Lihua grits her teeth angrily. Her appetite was lost, and all she ate was a few pieces of rice and took a small bite of the dry bread.
"Is that all you're going to eat?" Her aunt questioned, "you're going to need your strength, you know." She added. The girl gently pushed the plate of food away, shaking her head slightly. "I'm not very hungry." She mumbles and stands up, before slipping her shoes on.
"The herbs are over there," Zhao Lin said, pointing to the corner, where an old bag made of rags lay. She looked at it and spotted little plants peeking out, making her smile slightly. She picks it up and almost gasps at the heavy weight.
Aunt Biyu chuckles like a witch and says, "we can't afford a cart, so you're going to have to carry that on your back the entire way. I hope someone is kind enough to help you. Maybe a guard, perhaps." She takes a sip of her green tea, ignoring the glare her niece sent her.
Lihua winces at the sudden pressure on her back but manages to stand straight as she walked out of the house, stumbling a bit. "I'll do my best, grandfather." She sent Zhao Lin a cheerful smile, a bright look in her eyes. He slowly looked up at her and his grip tightened on the glass.
At that moment, he saw not his granddaughter, but his son.
The same optimistic attitude, the same happy smile, the same cheerful eyes.. gazing right at him, full of hope and twinkling with life-
He looked away without saying a word.
As Lihua walked away, Aunt Biyu placed a comforting hand on Zhao Lin's shoulder, a dejected look on her face. "Do you really think she will be okay, grandfather?" She asked hesitantly.
Silence.
Then, with a heavy sigh, he finally answered, "I don't know."

"