Chapter Twenty || Lies and Desires

The Great Palace, Xiang Empire, 1479_____________He didn't know what to feel

_____________
He didn't know what to feel.
But he did know that his plan to embarrass and humiliate her had been ruined. In the end, she was the one who humiliated him, in a way. She sang so beautifully that she made completely forget about his surroundings. She made him forget everything else, and made him focus only on her. He never knew that she could sing, and thought she couldn't. And her dance, it'd held him captive. Her simple dance was definitely different from the professional concubines, and although it was not as amazing, it had this graceful and innocent feel to it that just drew people in. It got their attention and made them want to watch it for hours and hours.
Emperor Hyeon's fist tightened.
What is she?
Just a few minutes after his wife had ran out of the room, leaving everybody confused, his brother had excused himself, saying he was tired. It sparked a tiny bit of suspicion in the emperor, as the prince didn't really look tired, but he brushed it off. What he couldn't brush off, however, was Lihua's voice still ringing in his head and her image carved into his mind. God, everything about her was angering and confusing him at the same time.
It gave him feelings that he didn't want to feel.
He'd convinced himself that he hated her, just as she hated him. The two loathed each other, that was a fact. The only reason he bothered to even look at her was because of lust. Lust and love were very different things, and he was sure that all he felt for her, other than hate, was lust.
At least, that's what he thought.
It frustrated him. It frustrated him so much.
Why is my heart beating so damn fast?
He remembered the way she leaned in to whisper in his ear earlier, and licked his lips. That was the first time she'd gotten physically close to him willingly, even if it was only to ask him for permission.
Then another thought crossed his mind.
Why did she suddenly get so nervous when he introduced her to his brother? She couldn't even meet his eyes. That would have been something normal for a lady to do: not look men in the eyes and acting quiet and shy.
But this was Lihua.
Quiet, submissive, and shy were not the words to describe her.
So where had that fire he loved and hated at the same time disappeared?
Jealousy stung him for a second. Could there be something between those two?
The emperor shook his head slightly. No, that wouldn't be possible. They just met.
"Your Majesty.." A feminine voice purred near his ear. He blinked, snapping out of his thoughts, and looked to his left. Hae Won and another concubine were smiling seductively at him. Their faces were covered with heavy makeup, their hairs decorated with hair ornaments and their dresses long and loose. He scanned them and swallowed. Although he wasn't exactly in the mood, he needed something to get his mind off Lihua. "You do not look very well, Your Majesty.. Shall I help you?"
"I can help you as well, Your Majesty.." The other concubine whispered.
"Hae Won," he mumbled, as expected. Hae Won was the one he liked, and picked her every time.
The gorgeous woman smirked in victory at the other woman, whose smile faded and a small frown appreared on her face.
Emperor Hyeon mumbled an order to Delun, telling him to take care of the banquet, and left with the concubine following behind. They arrived at his chamber, and the moment they stepped inside, he grabbed her and began kissing her. She eagerly kissed back.
It didn't feel right.
It didn't feel good.
He pulled away quickly and wiped his mouth, his eyes wide. Hae Won frowned, "what's wrong?" She asked.
"I.." He was being tormented, for God's sake. His heart pounded furiously against his chest, his throat going dry and his blood running cold. He couldn't kiss or touch another woman without his wife's face reappearing in his head. He couldn't get rid of her image. Her smile, her eyes, her.. her everything.
He needed her.
Not Hae Won, not some attractive lady, not any woman..
Just her.
Emperor Hyeon ran out of the bedchamber, ignoring Hae Won's confused yells, and headed straight to the women's section of the palace.

Her.
He went past the guards and eunuchs, and soon found himself in front of the familiar doors. He opened them and hurried inside, his chest going up and down as he tried to breathe.
Lihua had just finished getting ready for bed, her fingers still at the ribbon of her cotton dress, tying it. She gasped and looked up, and frowned when she saw him. She instantly remembered last night, when he'd kissed her in ways that could never be called gentle. Has he possibly come here to finish what he started when he was drunk? At that thought, she wrapped her arms protectively around herself, glaring at him.
"Haven't you heard of knocking? What on earth are you doing here at this time of the night? Listen, if you've come here to—"
"You're a witch."
"What?"
"You're a witch, aren't you? No, maybe not a witch. A siren, perhaps?" He sounded desperate and angry at the same time.
That made her frown even more. "Your Majesty, are you alright?"
Emperor Hyeon breathed shakily, slowly walking towards her. "Do you realize.. what you do to me?"
Lihua backed away, "I don't know what you're talking about. Please, leave." He was starting to scare her. The expression on his face was scaring her.
He looked broken.
Weak.
Vulnerable.
Desperate.
It looked as though she had unknowingly tore him apart and broke his heart a thousand times. As though she'd ripped him to shreds.
And left him hungry for more.
What did I do? She wondered.
He grabbed her arms firmly, shaking her slightly. "What have you done to me? What kind of curse have you placed on me, you witch?!" He yelled. She flinched, her eyes widening. She stayed quiet, unable to say anything.
The emperor's eyes flickered down to her lips, which were parted in surprise. They looked so inviting, so kissable. "Just one kiss, one kiss and I'll never look at you again." He whispered.
"H-Huh?" She whispered.
"One kiss is all I need. Please."
Lihua thought about it. If she kissed him just this once, then he'd leave her alone. He'd stop bothering her. She would live in peace, without having to worry about a monster like him. Besides, it wouldn't be a big deal if she just brushed her lips against his, right? A part of her couldn't believe she was actually considering this. "Then.. Then you'd leave me alone?" She hesitantly asked.
"Yes." He answered.
She stood on the tips of her toes, then slowly, her lips brushed against his. It was only a quick peck though, and didn't even last a second. But when she kissed him, it was like his heart lit on fire and warmth spread throughout his entire body. After that, he knew he was going to be addicted. He couldn't bear not to be with her and he could barely breathe when she was around. Her lips were both his salvation and his torment.
The emperor swallowed.
The poor girl had no idea that she didn't stop his desire at all with a small kiss. She did the exact opposite.
"Your Majesty?" She said after a long moment of silence.
"I lied." He whispered, before grabbing her face and slamming his lips against hers.
________________