Chapter Five || Pure Evil

The Great Palace, Xiang Empire, 1479___________________The throne room was everything she'd imagined and more

___________________
The throne room was everything she'd imagined and more. Shiny marble floors, strong yet smooth walls and carvings of dragons. Decorated with precious jade and rubies, along with other rare gems and stones. Ministers, nobles, officials, and anyone of important status were gathered there. Lihua, the only woman in the majestic hall, could feel their stares. Their judgmental, curious stares, holding hints of confusion. They were all thinking the same thing.
What was a woman doing here?
Could be she a new concubine? Another whore for His Majesty's harem?
How dare she interrupt a war meeting?
Her head was down the whole time. Minister Hyung quickly stepped in front of her and continued walking, leaving her behind him. She noticed that and fought back a nasty scowl. Who does this man think he is? Does he honestly— she shook her head slightly. Of course you idiot! He's a minister, and what are you? You're middle class. And a woman! You're pretty much a peasant, and worthless to him. A tiny voice sternly reminded her in a scolding manner.
Lihua suddenly bumped into him, not realizing he'd stopped. She was instantly pulled out of her thoughts. He sent her a glare that could've sent her six feet under ground if looks could kill. Why did he hate her so much already? She never did anything to him and it's not her fault her grandfather couldn't come.
The minister sniffed in annoyance and turned away from her, before bowing so deep that his head touched the floor. "Your Majesty.." He spoke hesitantly, not wanting to anger the emperor in any way.
Lihua, however, stood there like an idiot. Still looking around with the expression of a curious child. But when she heard the word 'majesty' her eyes widened and she immediately got on her knees, bowing as well. She didn't dare look at the emperor, who sat on the beautiful throne, watching them. The same throne that was bathed in the blood of those who had fought for it and all the anger and wickedness in their hearts.
"What is going on here?" His booming voice echoed in the silent hall, bringing a sense of fear to everyone's hearts.
The moment she heard his voice, the first thing that came into mind were the words pure evil. There was just something about him that gave her a bad feeling. No, awful would be a better word.
And she wasn't wrong.
The girl frowned. But why did his voice sound.. familiar? She was sure she'd heard that voice somewhere. But where?
"My sincere apologies for this sudden interruption, Your Majesty. I am deeply sorry, but I was only doing my duty, just like you asked. I brought Wu Zhao Lin—"
"I did not know the herbalist was a woman." There were a few soft chuckles and whispers at that.
"I meant to say, Wu Zhao Lin's granddaughter, Your Majesty." Minister Hyung said slowly, allowing the king to process his words. Goodness, he was probably going to be beheaded for this. It went completely silent. No one spoke, moved, or even breathed. The only sound was the stubborn wind blowing outside.
Then, in a soft voice and threatening tone, the emperor broke the heavy silence by saying, "I asked for Wu Zhao Lin.. and you bring me his granddaughter?"
Lihua gulped quietly. Oh god, what was going to happen to her now? Or worse, what was going to happen to her grandfather? What if he was captured and brought to prison? What if he was killed for this? With these thoughts running urgently through her chaotic mind, they found her lost voice and forced words out of her mouth.

"Your Majesty," all eyes suddenly snapped to her as soon as they heard a feminine voice speak up. Lihua gathered all her courage and slowly stood up, earning surprised and confused looks. But unfortunately, she wasn't daring enough to look up.. yet.
"I am Wu Lihua, granddaughter of the herbalist Sir Wu Zhao Lin. My grandfather is very ill, and he wasn't able to come here. So I came instead. You see—"
"Did I give you permission to speak, Miss Wu?"
Lihua froze entirely when he cut her off. What am I doing?! Oh my goodness, oh my goodness, I'm speaking to the emperor! Bow you idiot! Bow!
But she didn't.
She opened her mouth, choosing her words carefully. "With all respect, Your Majesty, I believe I am free to speak whenever I wish. Every citizen in this empire has their own rights and a little freedom. Whether you are a god or someone with immense power and wealth, that does not matter to me, for I am not afraid to use mine. I hope you understand that."
Faint gasps of disbelief and disapproving whispers returned to the hall, filling it like a lake. "How dare a woman speak that way?" She heard someone hiss.
You're going to die, you idiot! Shut up! Shut up!
Fortunately, she did.
She heard the slight shuffling of his royal silk robes, and realized he was standing up. Then footsteps. Footsteps, making their way towards her.
Gods, help me. Any deity out there, please help me!
"Out, all of you. The meeting is over." He ordered. The men looked at eachother with puzzled expressions. They had no choice but to obey and left the hall one by one. Lihua sighed in relief and turned to leave, but was stopped by him commanding her to stay.
Her relief immediately vanished, replaced by fear and anxiety and confusion. Why did he want her to stay? What did he want from her? Everyone was gone now, leaving the two alone in the great hall. He stood right in front of her. But she didn't dare look at him. Her eyes stayed glued to the floor, suddenly finding it interesting.
"If you're going to kill me for what I said, please just be done with it. Remember I have never been afraid of death, so draw your sword and do it." She said. His chuckle made her frown. What was so funny? Wasn't he going to kill her for the disrespect?

Lihua froze completely when she felt two fingers wrap around her chin, gently lifting it.
Her eyes met his.
And she gasped.
"You..!" She whispered in shock, "you're the man from the village!"

!" She whispered in shock, "you're the man from the village!"