Chapter Twelve || Mother of The Empire

The Great Palace, Xiang Empire, 1479________________Lihua couldn't eat

________________
Lihua couldn't eat.
Just looking at the food made her feel nauseous. Steam rose from the warm, freshly-cooked meal. She unconsciously touched her bruised wrist, wincing slightly. The emperor had grabbed her and treated her in a way no one ever had. The way he threatened her, the way he hurt her.. Not only physically, but emotionally too. You might think she would've gotten over the fact that he forced her to marry him, but she didn't. She wasn't the type to forget something easily, nor was she the forgiving type. She'd vowed to herself not to forgive him for what he did, and she was determined to keep that vow. How? The hatred she felt for him was going to help her in doing that.
"My lady.." Eun Soo said, her tone hesitant and her voice soft. "Please, eat. Do you not like the food? I shall order the royal chef to make something else. Something more to your liking.." She turned to one of the maids and was about to tell her something when Lihua spoke up, "no need for that. I'm not hungry. Thank you though." The woman's thin lips parted, like she wanted to talk back, but she closed her mouth and only bowed her head, whispering, "as you wish, my lady. I am just concerned for your health, that is all."
"Don't even bother." Lihua snapped, "I know you're only doing your job. You do not truly care about me. After all, I'm merely a lowly whore that His Majesty married, right?" The maids flinched at her tone, keeping their heads down, not daring to look up at her.
Eun Soo didn't respond.
"Not one person in this damned palace truly cares about me. It's all an act. A pretend. So please, don't bother." She was angry. She didn't give a dead rat about the unladylike language she was using. She didn't care, at all. "Leave me alone, all of you. Just leave. I don't need your fake concern. I don't need your lies and forced smiles. I can take care of myself! I'm not a hopeless, weak little girl who was spoiled rotten. I'll be perfectly fine on my own." She wanted to show them that she was independent. That she was strong.
The women just stood there, their stares glued to the ground.
"Leave, dammit!" Lihua screamed, grabbing a precious vase and throwing it against the wall. It shattered to a thousand pieces.
One by one, they quickly began leaving the room. Eun Soo gave her one last look of pity, before stepping out as well.
She was alone now. That's when her anger turned to sadness. She leaned against the wall and slid to the ground, burying her face in her hands and beginning to weep. She cried and cried. She sobbed, crying for her family. For her miserable, pitiful, pathetic self. For her awful luck and cruel fate. "Aunt Biyu.. Grandfather.. I miss you both so much." She couldn't breathe as she let out a choked sob. "Deities, please.. I know I promised myself to stay strong, but I can't.. I can't.." Her body was weakening. "Give me strength please.. and keep my family safe." She prayed as she cried.
Eun Soo was just outside the room. She'd been listening the whole time, waiting for her to finish so she could inform her of something important. Her heart was clenching painfully for the poor girl. She wanted to go in there and hold her. She wanted to hug her and tell her that everything was going to be alright. But she couldn't. Emperor Hyeon had ordered her to stay formal and keep a distance at all times. He didn't want Lihua to get close to anybody. He wanted her to suffer. To be consumed with loneliness and depression for the rest of her life in the palace. His Majesty was clearly a sadistic man. He enjoyed and took pleasure from seeing others in pain, whether it was emotional pain or physical pain.
He wanted to break Lihua.
When her sobs faded, Eun Soo bit her lip and gently knocked on the door. "My lady.." There was no reply, so she slowly slid the door open and looked at the girl. Lihua was in the corner, hugging her knees close to her chin and staring at the wall. She sniffed, her cheeks stained with drying and sticky tears. "What do you want?" She asked, "are you here to lie to me again?"
Eun Soo sighed softly and composed herself, bowing her head and saying, "my lady, His Majesty's mother, Empress Jingfei, the empress dowager, requests your presence."
That got Lihua's attention. She stood up, wiping her cheeks with her hands as she stuttered, "wh-what? Are you serious?" Nervousness clouded her mind. The great empress herself wanted to meet her.
"Yes, I am." She replied, "we must hurry. Empress Jingfei doesn't like waiting." She added and gestured for the girl to follow her.
After a good ten minutes—or maybe less, Lihua wasn't sure, they finally arrived at the Her Majesty's chambers. The guards allowed them to go inside, and the eunuchs were there to greet them. Several court ladies were also there, standing right outside two large doors. One of them looked up, her gaze landing on the two. Her small eyes widened slightly and she knocked twice on the door before announcing, "your majesty.. Court Lady Eun Soo and Lady Wu have arrived."
"Let them in." said a stern, firm yet feminine voice.
"Yes, your majesty." She replied, and opened the doors. Eun Hee and Lihua stepped inside, their heads down. Lihua was nervous as hell. This was the emperor's mother. She had a bad feeling about this, but brushed it off and composed herself. She smoothed out the wrinkles of her hanfu and tucked a stray strand behind her ear. Her head was down. She didn't dare look up at the empress.
"Your Majesty.." Eun Soo spoke respectfully, bowing. "I have brought Lady Wu, like you asked.."
"Step forward, daughter-in-law." Empress Jingfei ordered.

Lihua winced slightly at her strict tone. She bit her lip and walked forward, stopping when she was right in front of her. She bowed gracefully. Elegantly. Empress Jingfei raised a brow slightly and told her to look up.
She seemed hesitant, but had no choice. She slowly looked up, her captivating brown eyes, framed with long raven lashes, meeting the queen's. There was another woman sitting beside the empress. She was gorgeous. Stunning as the moon itself. Flawless skin, silky hair, and just utter perfection. But the way she glared daggers at the sixteen year old made her a little uncomfortable. They just met and didn't even know each other. How could that woman look like she was more than ready to murder her?
 Who is she?  Lihua wondered curiously. If looks could kill..
Empress Jingfei observed Lihua's features, a small frown making an appearance on her face. From her neatly done hair, to her curious doe eyes, to her pink lips, and then her modest hanfu. She was attractive, yes she was. She reached out and grabbed her daughter-in-law's chin, turning her face left then right and humming slightly. Lihua couldn't tell if that was a hum of approval, or if it was a hum of disappointment.
"Plain little thing, you are."
Was that an insult or a compliment?
Lihua swallowed as the empress let go of her chin. She decided to take it as a compliment and gave a nod, "thank you, your majesty."
"Would you like some tea?" Empress Jingfei gestured to the teapot and teacups. Lihua shook her head, "no. Thank you for the offer though." She politely declined.
That made the queen frown.
Oh no. Bad move.
"Do you know who this is, Lady Wu?" She asked, her voice as cold as ice. She was referring to the woman sitting next to her.
"No–"
"This is Hae Won, my son's favorite concubine and one of the very few people he truly trusts."
Lihua's mouth fell open slightly, clearly surprised.
But then she did something that the didn't expect.
She immediately gave the concubine a kind smile and bowed her head politely, "it's a pleasure to meet you, Miss Hae Won. I hope we get along well." She said. Empress Jingfei was actually testing her. She could tell that her smile was genuine, and she was shocked. She thought that her daughter-in-law would be jealous and angry. But she wasn't. Instead, she looked happy and.. relieved?
Hae Won raised a brow, a little confused. Then she cleared her throat and mumbled, "it's a pleasure to meet you as well, Lady Wu."
Why does it not bother her? Empress Jingfei thought with a small frown of confusion.
Silence fell upon them.
After a minute or so, Lihua broke the uncomfortable silence by hesitantly saying, "I have a request."
_________________
What is Lihua's request, I wonder?

" _________________What is Lihua's request, I wonder?