Chapter Ten || The Wedding Night

The Great Palace, Xiang Empire, 1479[SLIGHT MATURE CONTENT] [YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED][THE EMPEROR'S NAME HAS BEEN CHANGED TO 'Hyeon'!]______________________As the tradition goes, after the wedding ceremony, there has to be a banquet

[SLIGHT MATURE CONTENT] [YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED]
[THE EMPEROR'S NAME HAS BEEN CHANGED TO 'Hyeon'!]
______________________
As the tradition goes, after the wedding ceremony, there has to be a banquet. This banquet was grand, filled with music and delicious food, laughter and people congratulating the bride and the groom. The atmosphere was festive and joyous, but for Lihua, it was suffocating. Although she was surrounded by people, she felt like she was alone in an empty room. She felt like the loneliest person on earth. She could feel the jealous stares and envyous glares of the emperor's concubines. She was sitting next to her new husband with her face covered with a see-through veil with golden threads. She was glad she wore a veil. It helped her hide her depressed state. Whenever someone came up to her to congratulate her on the marriage, she just forced a fake smile and thanked them.
But inside, she felt like she was slowly breaking.
Her posture was tense, her hands which were below the table were balled into tight fists. She wasn't comfortable at all. She suddenly felt a finger gently touch her knuckle and she visibly flinched. Even the slightest touch that came from the emperor disgusted her. Everything about him disgusted her to the core. Hell, even looking at him increased her hatred. Every time his face and that stupid smirk of his crossed her mind, she would immediately remember how he forced her to marry him and threatened to kill her family.
Lihua made a silent vow to never forgive this man.
I'll never forgive him. Damn him! Damn him to hell and back! That disgusting pig!
"What's wrong, my dear wife?" He whispered softly, his low voice reaching her ear even with all the loud noise around them. His finger traced the back of her hand.
"Don't call me that. And stop touching me." She responded firmly, her fists tightening so much that her knuckles turned completely white.
He only chuckled. That made Lihua want to slap him. "Why, dear wife? I'm only speaking the truth. We're married now, are we not? You're my wife, and I'm your husband," he leaned in slightly to whisper in her ear, "which means you will submit to me and obey my every word. After all, that is the duty of a good wife, right?" There was a hint of threat in his husky voice.
She shuddered.
"I feel tired. I will leave now." She said, trying to keep herself calm.
"As you wish, my dear." He replied with a slight smirk, taking a sip of his wine.
Lihua stood up and quickly left with a maid following after her. "Milady! Wait!" The maid called, making her stop and look at her in confusion. "My lady, do not think I am being indecent or disrespectful, but you mustn't retire to your personal chambers now."
She frowned, "why?"

"Th-the.." The maid blushed deeply as she stuttered, "the.. wedding night.. my lady.."
It all came crashing down on Lihua. Her eyes widened and her mouth went dry. Oh my god. Oh my god. Oh my god. I have forgotten all about it! How could I have forgotten?! Panic appeared within her. She tried to calm herself down by thinking, it's okay. I can just talk to him about it. I can just tell him that I'm not ready.. oh, he would never listen to me!
"My lady?"
The maid's voice snapped her out of her thoughts. "We must go bathe you and dress you." Lihua realized she had no choice. She followed the maid to the bathing chamber.