chapter 6

After that little incident, the rest of the week was pretty boring. I tried to stay in the background as much as possible, and avoided drawing attention to myself. Ruby kept trying to get me to sit with her team, but I preferred to stay in the back.

Besides, from there I had a view of every point of entry and exit, plus a line of sight on everyone in most classrooms.

Force of habit, I guess.

I got a pass to spend nights in the library, researching Aura and Dust. Strangely enough, apparently the people from Remnant didn’t have much of an idea of how it worked, either, and what they did know put it firmly outside of the bounds of any scientific concepts I understood.

My first theory was that Dust crystals were some kind of weird-ass naturally occurring battery, that would release different forms of energy based on the type of crystal it was. That got thrown out the fucking window when I learned that Dust was separated into elements, and would let someone manipulate those elements with their Aura.

So, they basically have wizards.

I’m not even shocked anymore. I just need to accept that this is the place that sanity and physics have gone to die.

I’ve been trying to snag some samples to analyze, but I don’t have any local currency, and, frustratingly enough, they keep the highly volatile wizard-rocks under lock and key.

So, yeah, the week was pretty boring.

However, today is Friday, which means that we have a weekend coming up. It doesn’t matter much to me, but I have to admit, I’m kinda looking forward to seeing what these crazy-ass kids do for fun. I don't expect to do anything productive though, which suits me just fine.

Ruby’s been taking her duties as my “host” very seriously. She keeps inviting me to hang out with her team and friends, despite me not exactly fitting in.

Right now, I’m in the library. It’s pretty quiet, and I’ve been coming in here for long enough that most of the students have stopped gawking at me.

Ruby comes in, spots me, and walks over to where I’m reading.

“Alcatraz, good news! You know the Schnee company, the one that’s run by Weiss’ family? They’re going to be opening a new weapons and ammo store in Vale! They’re having a grand opening that Weiss will be going to!”

“And this is relevant because...?”

“Because we’re going too! We’ll get to be the first ones to look at all the cool stuff they have! Plus, since they'll have a firing range, you can show me what that weird rifle you told be to never touch can do!”

I stared at her for a second. “You want to take me out in public? You know that can’t possibly end well, right?”

“So what if you make people nervous? Just stick with the team, and it’ll be fine!”

I had to chuckle. “Because scaring the crap out of a bunch of pedestrians counts as ‘fine’?”

“Aww, will you please come with us?”

I’m about to flat-out refuse, when she brings out the puppy-dog eyes.

Now, despite being a posthuman, mechanized, combat optimized cyborg, I fold like a house of cards. I mean, Christ, how does anyone say no to her?

“Alright, alright, I’ll go. But if anyone starts screaming, I’m cloaking and getting the hell out, got it?”

-----

Surprisingly enough, nobody freaked out. I’m not saying they didn’t react, I still got the usual stares and wary looks, but nobody screamed.

Yay.