chapter 17

Ozpin didn’t really react to the news about the White Fang, but he is apparently fuck-deficient and couldn’t afford to give one. He promised to relay the info to Ironwood, though, which is good.

It’s after dark, I’m back in the library, and I think I’ve finally fucking found it. The way to take a piece of this crazy-ass pie for myself.

Dust.

Now, normally there’s just one way to draw power from Dust, and that’s with Aura. I’ve learned a lot about this particular process, but it’s not helping me. I don’t have Aura, and can’t count on having someone with Aura nearby when I need some juice. 

There is a way to draw the power out of Dust without releasing it, storing it internally for a vast increase in personal power, but that also requires an Aura. Plus, the energy inevitably tears the would-be super saiyan apart after just a couple of minutes. So, scratch that plan.

But, I’ve just found something very interesting. It’s a very new paper on Dust, and it talks about the discovery of an isolated nomadic tribe out in the wilderness, without any Aura users. The kicker?

They still had Dust weapons.

Local folklore goes that they had some kind’ve hero way back when, who could use Aura, but nobody else had the potential. The legend continues that, on his deathbed, he activated a Dust crystal and imbued his sword with the power of his spirit, which was able to cause Dust to ignite on contact. So, they broke his sword into pieces, and placed a tiny shard in all of their weapons to continue using it’s power.

Based on other stories about the dude, scientists theorize that this guy had a kind of energy duplication Semblance, able to take the weird radiation released in a Dust explosion and cause it to emanate from his gear. Since Dust can trigger Dust, it’s like an always-on catalyst.

Now, if there’s one thing this suit knows about, it’s energy. If I can get accurate and in-depth readings from a powerful enough Dust explosion, I’m pretty confident that the suit can adapt to produce a similar kind of radiation. Tomorrow, I’ll just get Weiss, Velvet, or some other caster to detonate a Dust crystal against my chest. They might think I’m a bit crazy, but it will be sooo worth it for all the extra juice this will net me.

More power on tap means more power I can dump into the suit. More power in the suit means that I can just enhance all of my...shortcomings with the high-tech equivalent of overwhelming brute force.

This just made my fucking month! This is fucking perfect! Absolutely nothing can fuck this u-

Something exploded. Something big.

Immediately afterwords, gunfire erupted from outside.

I just had to open my fucking mouth, didn’t I?

Thank god I had my gear with me. I shouldered the Gauss, holstered the Majestic, and attached the Ceph blade to one of the extra magnetic holsters on my back.

The explosion came from the front of Beacon, on the opposite side of the dorms. Beacon’s normally accessed via the airpads behind the building, but there’s a really roundabout land route into Vale that leads into the front walkway. If I had to guess, I’d say that the front gate just got blown off its hinges. The gunfire means that we’re getting stormed.

It doesn’t take a combat AI to work out who the culprit is. Fucking White Fang. Guess they had more gear stashed somewhere else.

You see, this is the kind of problem you run into when you aren’t willing to put the bastards down the first time.