bonus 7

The (highly) non-canon omake I mentioned.

"So, Ruby, what did you want to show us?" The whole team was gathered in their dorm room. Ruby walked over to a computer she had set up on the desk. "Penny sent me a video. She said it was about Alcatraz, and that we should watch it."

Yang shrugged. "Alright, load it up on the computer. We can sit on one of the beds to watch it."

-----

The video doesn't have any introduction. It just cuts in immediately, showing some kind of cramped metal compartment, filled with men and women wearing olive green uniforms.

"...This is a strictly humanitarian crisis. Ebola, or some such shit. Tell 'em, Alcatraz," he says, indicating towards whatever device was recording.

The girls all realized it at roughly the same time. This was from Alcatraz's point of view. For all intents and purposes, they were watching his memories. Knowing what they did about how the suit could interface with his brain, maybe they were his memories.

The soldiers laugh and joke around with each other, trading good natured insults and banter. Alcatraz is silent, but he nods and laughs with the conversation. These men and women were clearly comrades-in-arms, almost family. They called themselves Marines.

From glimpses as he looks around, the girls notice that Alcatraz isn't wearing the suit. He's in the same uniform as the others, with bare skin showing. They realize that it must be before he was injured.

The camaraderie doesn't last. There's a loud, resonating 'PING'. The soldiers sit silently for a few moments, before one of them asks, "What the hell was-"

The walls buckle inwards, and water gushes into the room.

The crumpling metal crushes one of the soldiers, who'd been laughing and joking just seconds ago. Metal pipes fall from the ceiling and kill another. There's blood in the water.

Weiss has her hands clamped over her mouth in shock, and is staring wide-eyed at the screen. Yang's reaction isn't as overt, but anyone who knows her can tell that she's slightly freaked out. Blake's face is as impassive as ever, but her eyes widen slightly. Ruby has drawn her knees up to her chest and is staring with a expression similar to Weiss's.

Alcatraz and the other soldiers are running through what they now know to be a submarine. The floor was tilting to the side, the ceilings were becoming walls, and the entire vessel was shaking. Water was rising, and after they get through a forward hatch, there's no choice but to swim for it.

The team can see Alcatraz's rapid, almost panicked strokes. In their entire time knowing him, none of them have ever seen him scared. He was now.

There's a gash in the side of the submarine, bleeding bubbles into the water. The marines all go through, as fast as they can. The jagged edge slices into some of them as they pass. Alcatraz is the last one out. He's fighting, clawing his way to the surface, but the view is blacking out.

Team RWBY is riveted to the screen. It's not so much that they want to watch, but that they feel like they have to.

Alcatraz makes it to the surface, gasping air. He's in a river, at night. Next to the river is a city, an enormous city, the size of Vale, maybe even larger.

It's burning in so many places that the sky is orange with reflected firelight.

The marines are calling out to each other, trying to see who made it out. Of all of the ones who were laughing and joking together earlier, less than half are left. Alcatraz turns towards the voice of one of his teammates, but sees a thing bobbing in the water.