Chapter Two

"Alright. Just sit tight and relax. This won't take long. I am just going to listen to your heart."

The next Wake, Schneep gives you another checkup as you sit in your bedroom chair. He brings his medical kit, full of every medical tool ever, every time for an unexplainable reason, but you just let him do him. He uses a stethoscope to listen to your heart, just as a regular doctor would, be he uses it to listen to your soul instead of a heartbeat.

"You've done this a hundred times. I know what you're going to do."

"Ah, but it is my duty as the good doctor to reassure all my patients." He puts his face mask on, covering his mouth and nose, and the scope in his ears. "No matter how many times I see them."

This makes you slightly grin. "Doctor knows best."

He chuckles in agreement and brings the end of the stethoscope to your chest. Placing it, holding it for a minute, then on to multiple areas to listen all around. He knows more about souls than anyone does, and he says that they have a distinct sound that is unexplainable, but it is as natural as a heartbeat is to a heart. We as humans just can't hear it, even with the most advanced technology.

Schneep is listening for that distinct sound, but he is also listening for any changes in its rhythm. If your heart has an irregular beat, then there could be something wrong and something is causing it to do so. Similarly, if there is an anomaly in whatever sound he hears, that means that something is causing it to change. Which means there is something out there trying to reach the soul. Possibly signs of Anti trying to make contact.

That's why you and the doctor decided to make these checkups daily. Ever since you've been having these dreams of Anti more frequently, you think he could be reaching out, and causing your soul to change. But if you don't check everyday, then those moments Anti could be reaching out are slipping through your fingers and you're not catching them quick enough. So these appointments happen everyday, hoping more and more that one of these times, Schneep will catch it.

You watch the doctor's face to try to catch any reaction that could indicate a sign. But you see nothing in his blue eyes.

He takes the stethoscope out if his ears and pulls down the mask to his chin. "Nothing."

You sigh. "Okay. Thanks."

He nods and puts the scope away. "Did you sleep at at all last Fall?"

You nod, even though it was mostly you laying in bed staring at the ceiling. "A little."

He raises an eyebrow and you know he doesn't believe you. "What do you have planned for today?"

"I was thinking about going to visit Chase. I haven't seen him in a while and I want to be sure he's alright."

Schneep makes a face that questions your idea.

"Is that not a good idea?"

"No!" He says defensively and stutters over his words. "I mean, yes! It's a fine idea!"

Now you don't believe him. "But...?"

He plays with his hands. "Well... I just fear that..." he pauses and thinks for a second, but then shakes the thought away. "You know what? Nothing. It's a great idea. You wanting to see your good friend... there's nothing wrong with that!"

He is being too enthusiastic about this. Whatever was eating at him before might be a concern. Whatever it was...

"Are you sure...?" You ask, trying to push him to spill what was worrying him.

He waves his hands. "Yes, yes, of course!"

"Schneep," you say in a solid tone. "You do know you can tell me things. Right?"