Chapter Eight

Schneep was right about the trip being longer since we stopped at Chase's, but eventually, by Fall, you made it.

Deep in the woods, where the red trees become thicker, and the constant light seems to fade, lies a stone hut that is covered in dark red moss. In the front are hanging plants and weeds inside wicker baskets from the rooftop. Two torches light the frame of the wooden door, and from the single four-paneled glassless window, you can't see anything or anybody home.

"You think he's here?" You ask.

Doctor Schneeplestein, holding tight to the strap of his satchel, walks up to the door. "I don't doubt it." Then he just opens the door, and we all step inside after him.

At first its dark, then your eyes adjust, and the first thing you see is the cluster of things around you. There are counters everywhere later out in a maze-like layout. Shelves of old books line the walls. Hanging from the low ceiling are dim green light bulbs over every other clustered counter, giving a green-ish hue to the mysterious objects that are piled and stacked on the counters. Some of those items include a crystal ball with a finger floating in the center, a stack of books that look to be written in a language you've never seen before, a small wooden box spilling its contents of jewels and jewelry, and even a Newton's cradle made of eyeballs.

Even though the eyeballs are giving you the creeps, the most shocking thing is seeing the array of multicolored liquids each boiling in a separate cauldron. And on a shelf above them are containers of many shapes, sizes and colors. The largest being the size of a head and the smallest being the size of a thumbnail. Some are filled and some are empty, but all are closed by a cork stopper.

This place mystifies you to the maximum. The smell of dragon's blood incense and witchy vibes of leather books makes you rethink Marvin's existence. You remember there not being much content with him, but you know that the community sometimes portrays him as some sort of wizard. This house seems to agree. Houses do, after all, take the shape and lifestyle of whatever they are assumed to take. The only thing missing is Marvin himself.

The three of you are shoulder to shoulder, crammed into the entryway of the hut, so Schneep is the first to step further inside, being followed single file by you and then Chase.

Holy fuck I think an eyeball just blinked at me. Winked? Blinked? I don't know.

"Marvin? It's me. I need your help," Doctor calls to Marvin who is nowhere to be seen. He calls again.

"Ah!" You hear a voice call from somewhere. "I figured you'd show up eventually!"

Your head turns towards the sound of clanging coming from the back corner near the cauldrons. There lays a spiral metal staircase that leads down to what seems to be another floor that's underground. A few more clangs and soon pops up another Irish man.

Marvin the Magnificent climbs up the stairs and greets his visitors with a huge smile. Thank god he's wearing different clothes because you would not be able to tell which Jack is which. Marvin wears a blue shirt with a black cape, and his hair is pulled back into a small knot on the back of his head, hidden behind that white cat-faced mask of his.

"Friends!" He says. "Welcome! Welcome, welcome, welcome! Come in, come in!" He gestures for the three of you to step in closer to the open area in front of a register counter. He spots his friend. "Doctor!" he goes over to him and put and arm around his shoulder. "Long time no see, eh Doc?"

Schneep fixes the stethoscope around his neck. "Yes, Marvin, but we have a very-"

"Chase," Marvin says happily as he walks over to him, completely ignoring Schneeplestein. Chase gives an uneasy look and Marvin seems to know to cease the enthusiasm. He just rests a hand on his shoulder. "How ya holding up?"