Prologue

I built a wall.

I built a wall, brick by brick, every time someone violated my trust. I made sure they were strong enough to never be torn apart.

I encompassed myself with solitude as I secured the wall with thorns. I had pushed everyone who tried to come in. I would never let anyone close enough to win. I became a bitter and desolate soul. 

One day you came, annihilated the wall with your hands. The sharp pointed wood projection pierced your tissues but you had a smile.

"I'm not easy to love,"

I say hoping it'll dissuade you and you'll leave. But deep inside I yearned you don't.

After all don't we all search for the feeling, that will destroy us in the end?

You smiled back as if you were alright. And broke the wall again with your hands now covered in blood.

"Why?" I asked. The pain which you concealed, evident in my eyes.

"I've been in your place. I know how it feels," you said as you recommenced with a smile.
You broke the wall, brick by brick. 

Brick by brick.

Once it was down you stood there with tired eyes as the dust whirled around you. You embraced me tightly, and I did the same. I closed my eyes feeling the heat of your body seeping into me chasing the cold solitude away. 

But it didn't last long.

When I opened my eyes, I frantically turned my head around searching for you.

You left me alone. 

You left me in the coldness with the monstrosities lurking my head.
They shred me into pieces. I wail as their laughter rings in my head. 

"No one will ever love you"
"You are worthless, you swine."
"They never cared enough to stay."
They keep chorusing. 

I've been hurt one too many times to let it happen once more. I am even more fragmented than I was before.

Here I am, building the wall, brick by brick, higher and stronger now, every time I think of you. Every time your voice echoes in my mind.

Brick by brick.