Mind Readings

Supergirl flew through the sky. She looked at her Legion ring from time to time, wishing Winn and Mon-el would come back. Suddenly there was a funny feeling in her stomach. She was about to go back to the D. E. O. When she suddenly threw up. Luckily, it didn't land on anyone.

When she got back to the DEO, Alex decided to run some tests on her.

"Can you think of anything that could cause this?"

"No Alex. I'm fine."

"You sure? Because last time I checked, you don't usually get airsickness."

"Probably just something I ate."

"That's another thing. You don't usually eat more than Barry Allen, but lately you can't go three minutes without shoving food in your face."

"I can too." Kara said, pushing aside a bucket of fried chicken she was eating.

"Then give me the fried chicken."

"I will melt your face, Alex."

"J'onn, tell her how ridiculous she's being, please." J'onn looked at the girls, accidentally reading their minds.

"Alex, can I talk to you for a minute?"

"Sure."

In the hall...

"So you think I'm going about this wrong."

"If it was in normal circumstances, no. I would have said Supergirl was being childish."

"What makes this not normal?"

"Kara's pregnant. About eight months."

"What?! And she didn't tell me?!"

"She doesn't know herself. How do you think we should break it to her?"

"Pretend to do some testing and discover she's pregnant." Alex said without much thought or doubt.

"Or we could tell her the truth that I was able to read the child's dreams."

"Yeah, but I want to know who the father is."

"I think Kara can tell us that."

"Fine, your way then."

"Oh, and congratulations on the adoption. I can't wait to meet your new child."

"I won't get her for another-- Hey! How did you--"

"I accidentally read your mind too. I'm sorry for that."

"It's ok. I was trying to figure out how to tell everyone anyway." They went in the med bay to tell Kara the news.

"So am I ok to go out?"

"You should take sick time. Not just here, but at Catco."

"Why?"

"Well, you're going to be an aunt, and you're going to be a mother."

"Alex that's great for you, but how am I even pregnant?"

"We were hoping you would tell us. You're eight months pregnant. I won't be able to get a needle in you to do the necessary tests to find out exactly how long but J'onn can use his telepathy. You should be showing a baby bump or something."

"Kryptonions usually show all pregnancy signs like humans though."

"So why didn't we see signs before?" Kara thought about this, then her eyes watered up.

"Because the Daxamite DNA is slowing down the pregnancy."

"Wait, what?"

"Daxamites don't get pregnant. They use DNA to create children."

"So this is Mon-El's child?" Alex asked.

"Yes. But he's on an important mission in the future. Now what about me being an aunt?"

"I adopted a baby girl. She was found abandoned on the side of the road, but as far as anyone knows she's human." Alex could tell something was wrong by Kara's face. "Something's worrying you. Is it the fact I don't know if this baby's an alien? Because I'm planning on testing her DNA."

"No, it's my baby. What if she's allergic to lead? And what am I supposed to tell Mon-el?"

"The truth? As for the lead, I'll make sure that we test that. Let's move on to a different topic. What do you want to name your baby?"

"I'm not sure. I'll talk it it over with Mon-el, but I'll probably name the baby something Kryptonion. I used to want to name my child after my parents in their honor, but with my mother alive, I think I might name my child Astra or Jor-El."

"Isn't Jor-el Clark's father's name?"

"Yes, but I thought honoring him by naming my son after him would be the right thing to do. I could always name him Cal-el after Clark but I don't think he would like that." They both laughed. Then Kara had some questions for Alex.

"Does this baby have a name?"

"That's the fun part of this adoption. Since they don't know who the birth parents are, I get to name her."

"Well? What did you decide on?"

"I wanted to name her something memorable, and I know this is cheesy, but how about Destiny?"

"That's a perfect name Alex! It's destiny that brought her to you."

"Not to sound cheesier, but I was thinking more how it was destiny that brought me my favorite sister."

"Aw, that's so sweet."

"You still need to tell Mon-el though."

"I know. But with him in a different time, I don't want him to be distracted."

"Kara, you should still tell him. He might be able to help us when you finally have the baby."

"How do you figure that?"

"Moral support? Information on Daxamite birthing?"

"I don't even know if he would remember much of Daxam. You're forgetting it's been over 7 years to him since he found out his planet had been destroyed by the destruction of Krypton."

"Your right. But we should try to see if he can help anyways."

"So what now? I just send a message to the legion, they think I'm in trouble and come zipping back here in seconds?"

"Not exactly what I planned but that'll work. Wait, how long did it take you to come up with that idea?"

Kara stayed silent, but staring at her Legion ring in thought, Alex decided to leave it alone. They began a series of tests to determine if the baby would be allergic to lead, all safely led with caution. The result was inconclusive.

"I can't say for sure if you're baby has a lead allergy." Alex told Kara after the tests were over. "I can tell you what the gender is though. Do you want to know?"

"Sure, why not?"

"Your going to have a daughter. Welcome to the family, Miss Danvers."