Chapter 1

Derek Anthony Hale is kind of perfect; well, he’s smart, good-looking and nice. He’s captain of the basketball team and can pretty much be a substitute player for any sport that Beacon Hills High School has to offer. He’s popular, and I’m sure everyone, yes, guys and girls, asked him to be their date for the prom.

So, let me ask you this; what would you do if the hottest and the most popular guy in school comes up to you and asks you out on a date? A) Say yes; B) say no; C) faint or D) turn your back and walk away?

“Let me guess, you fainted, didn’t you?” Scott stated as he gave his best I’m-currently-judging-you look and it’s kind of embarrassing, really and no, I didn’t faint.

“NO, I did not faint. I may have hyperventilated but that was after I turned around and walked away, when I was sure he wasn’t there to notice my manly breakdown. I can’t believe I screwed this up. He must think that I’m a freak. I didn’t even give him an answer, Scotty! What is happening to me? Oh my gosh, let me die.”

Scott pats me on the back and says, “Dude, breathe! He doesn’t think you’re a freak. I’m pretty sure he wants to ask you again, because he’s coming this way. Good luck, man, I’m going to check if Kira is in the library! Bye!”

Then Scott is walking away and Stiles turns slowly, sees Derek closing in. He plays it cool and tries to breathe slowly. Once he was calm enough to face him, he turns and sees those obscenely gorgeous green (?) eyes and fuck, he might just faint.

“Hey.” Derek sits awkwardly beside him and Stiles is pretty sure he stopped breathing.

“Hey, hi, what’s up?” Nice, Stilinski, smooth! He sputters as he tries to smile back at Derek.

Derek shifts uncomfortably in his seat and starts off with a, “You never gave me an answer this morning… I mean, was that a yes or a no? I can’t really tell.”

Stiles gapes at him for a solid minute and then starts his explanation, “No… No, I mean yes. No, I didn’t give you an answer because I was surprised… a-and kind of curious as to why you want to take me out on a date. I mean, I don’t know about you but people aren’t really lining up to me for a date. Did somebody dare you to do this or something?”

“Okay, first of all, this is not a dare; second, why would you surprised about all of this? And; third, you’re kind of interesting and I’ve been meaning to ask you out since the beginning of the semester.” Derek counters with a sheepish grin, “So, would you like to go out with me?” he adds.

Stiles swallows hard and contemplates of saying ‘no’, and then moving on with his high school life, but he just had to say it, “Yea, I would love to go out with you.”

~

“Do I want to know what’s gotten into you?” His Dad asks, skeptical as to why his son is currently singing ‘Love is an Open Door’ while he’s cooking dinner for the two of them.

Stiles turns and stops through a falsetto of the song and says, “Can’t I cook for my father, the Sheriff of Beacon Hills, something delicious before he goes off to work?”, feigning absolute innocence as he proceeded to hum the song, instead of actually singing it. He’s kind of afraid that his Dad might gag him if he continues on with the singing.

“Well, it’s either you did something really criminal-worthy or you really want something. I’m going with the latter and ask; what do you want?”