04 | Panic At The Disco

AS AVA AND I laid in my dorm room, her feet resting on the headboard while my feet laid at the end next to Ava's head, I aimlessly scrolled through my feed. As I saw nothing interesting for a while, I began to lose myself in my thoughts.

Against my better judgment, I went into my settings and tapped on the Blocked Users section. There, I found his name. I drew in a deep breath as I battled with my inner monologue about the pros and cons of what I was about to do.

There's no going back, I said to myself and tapped Unblock this User.

Unfortunately, my curiosity had gotten the best of me and I tapped on his profile within a heartbeat. My heart began to pound faster by the second as I watched the tiny dot in the middle chase itself around in a circle, taking an entire lifetime to load. Okay, maybe not an entire lifetime.

Finally, the pictures began to pop up, my heart threatening to leap through my chest. I scrolled down a bit, scanning the various pictures of Milo and his friends, and noticed that I didn't see a single photo with James in it. Strange.

As I continued to peruse through his posts, I came across one particular picture that caused the pounding in my chest to cease at once and was replaced by a heavy, sunken feeling.

With her arms wrapped around his shoulders, Nicole was standing on her tippy-toes, giving Milo a peck on the cheek. An arm was wrapped around her waist as Milo closed his eyes with a giant, goofy grin on his face. A tight pressure formed in my chest, and I inhaled slowly through my nose as my lips rolled in.

Suddenly, Ava shot up with a giant grin on her face, nearly whacking me in the face with her feet.

"Get up, Hadley!" She blurted as she swung her legs over the edge of the bed. Ava turned back to look at me and noticed the small frown on my face as I continued to stare at my screen, hypnotized.

"What are you looking at?" She asked and scooted closer towards me.

"Nothing," I replied and slammed my phone down beside me onto the bed, giving her a phony smile. She narrowed her eyes at me and, without a warning, pounced on top of me, reaching for my phone. I quickly slid it under my body as Ava began to scream, "Let me see!"

She began to tickle me and soon enough, she obtained what she wanted.

"Uh-uh," Ava said, shaking her head. "You are not going to be moping tonight. It's a Saturday night, Hads! We shouldn't be sitting in our dorms like two losers who have no life, we should be at a party!"

I groaned as Ava stood up, my phone still in her clutches.

"Someone's hosting a party across campus, and we're going," she proclaimed, straightening up.

"Mmm..." I tapped on my chin, pretending to consider it, "I think I'll pass." I reached for my phone, but with her quick reflexes, Ava pulled her hand back, my phone well out of reach.

"Nope, I'm taking this," she declared and stuffed it into her bag. "And you are not getting this back until you have a great time at that party," Ava stated matter-of-factly. I was about to use the I have too much homework excuse but realized that it was syllabus week, meaning we didn't have any homework.

Ava walked over to my closet and after a few dilemmas, she tossed me some clothes and said, "Wear that." She walked across to her room and began to change.

As if sensing my unwillingness to cooperate, she shouted, "Hadley Summers, if you aren't wearing that outfit by the time I come back, I will drag your ass to that party in whatever you're wearing."