14 | The Mix-Up

WE TOOK THE subway back. There wasn't much room on the subway train we needed to catch, so we split up again into the groups from earlier. Professor Smith stayed with us while another professor that came along traveled on the first subway train.

I waved to Milo as he smiled softly at me through the window of the subway car, watching as he slowly floated away while I remained at the edge of the platform.

"Don't worry, you'll see him again in like twenty minutes," a female voice sounded beside me. I jumped slightly, heart palpitating, eyes bulging. When I looked, I was met with ocean blue eyes and a close-lipped smile.

"You scared me, Stacey," I breathed.

"Sorry," she apologized.

"I didn't see you all night at dinner. Where did you disappear to?"

"Oh. Well, after I came out from the bathroom, I saw Milo sitting at your table, and I didn't want to disrupt your dinner date, so I sat at another table instead," she stated nonchalantly.

A bright crimson red flooded my cheeks. "Nonsense, you should've still joined us. I'm sure he wouldn't have mind. And that was not a dinner date," I laughed awkwardly.

Twenty minutes later, after being heavily squashed against one another in the subway, we made it to the hotel. Entering through the automatic sliding doors, Professor Smith walked up to the front desk.

She returned shortly with our room keys, which were bundled up in a small stack. She called out the names on the card and one by one, we all attained our key cards.

"Your key card will only allow you to go to the floor your room is on, so you must scan your room key every time you need to go upstairs," she said as we entered the elevator, everyone quickly scanning their card and pressing the button to their floor.

I pressed the button to the fifteenth floor. The majority of the group got off at lower floors, and only a few of us were left when I hopped out of the elevator, two others got off with me. As I looked for the plaque with 15K on the wall, the others quickly found their rooms near the entrance of the elevator.

Walking all the way down the hall, I finally found it, the last and slightly bigger hotel room. I unlocked the door and stepped inside, content to find my suitcase already set neatly in the corner.

Upon entering, I walked through a short hallway, the bathroom immediately to the left, before coming across two beds and a medium-sized bedside table separating the two beds with a phone for room service and a digital clock.

On a smaller table next to the bed on the left laid a phone and a clear plastic bag that contained a toothbrush and toothpaste. I threw my shoulder bag to the bed on the right, falling backward onto the soft mattress as it curved around my body.

I could hear the running water from the shower as I closed my eyes, soaking in the comfort. A few minutes passed before the shower shut off and I'd meet my roommate for the rest of the week. The bathroom door opened with a small creek, followed by quiet padding against the carpet.

"Hadley?"

My eyes immediately shot open and I sprang up faster than a startled cat. My heart began to palpitate, adrenaline roaring through my veins, and suddenly it felt as if the air was being constricted from my lungs.