24 | Second Chances

AS I SAT DOWN on the couch, Ava on my left and Hunter sitting in the armchair, I drew in a deep breath, finally calm.

"Thanks, Hunter, for helping me back there. I know today was supposed to be a memorable one for good reasons but I guess some things don't always go the way you plan, right?" I laughed at the irony.

He shrugged it off, "It was nothing, I was just doing the right thing. Besides, he deserved it for all the shit he said to you." Hunter's eyebrows were furrowed as he contemplated something else that was in his mind, deciding whether or not he should say more. After a moment, he began, "Oh what the hell, it's not like there's nothing to lose when I tell you this. In fact, you deserve to know too."

He leaned forward and rested his elbows on his knees. "A couple weeks ago, I brought Ava to a frat party because she was complaining about how her friend was in New York and she didn't have anything to do. While we were there, I spotted Nicole with some guy. It seemed like they were together since they were very close to each other if you know what I mean," Hunter wiggled his eyebrows, earning a quiet chuckle and a disgusted Ava.

"People said they had a no strings attached thing going on for a while, but I didn't think much of it. And then today when I saw James, I realized that he was the same guy Nicole was with at the party. He's been cheating on you for a while now, Hadley, and the way how he was acting like he was the victim irked me. I was so close to punching him but I knew that I had better things to do than argue with that bastard," Hunter scoffed.

My mouth was slightly parted, brows raised, after hearing this. I guess I didn't have to feel guilty about what happened between Milo and I in New York. That was nothing compared to James and Nicole.

But it also got me thinking, Nicole was too good to be true. Sure, she's kind, intelligent, has looks and many other qualities that make her envious, but nobody's perfect, not even her.

"Thanks again, Hunter," I chuckled. "How do you know Nicole though?"

"Saw her in one of my lectures. I thought she was cute when she walked in but I knew she had a thing going on with James so I didn't make a move or anything."

I sighed, "Even though what James did was wrong, I guess Milo and I aren't so innocent either. We didn't sleep together, but when we were in New York, we flirted with each other a lot."

"Who's that?" Hunter asked curiously. I forgot that Hunter didn't know who Milo was...probably. For a school with a huge campus, it seemed like everyone knew who Milo or James was.

"Nicole's boyfriend, and my ex from high school I guess you could say."

"Woah," was all Hunter managed to say, a bit shocked.

"Yeah," I chuckled lightly. "It's a long story."

After briefly explaining what the situation was, it was a lot for Hunter to take in. "Wow, we've been here for the same amount of time, yet it seems like you've lived here longer than me," Hunter chuckled. "Your life's like a rollercoaster, Hadley."

"Yeah, I'm starting to realize that now," I laughed lightly once again.

"You should tell him," Hunter said calmly, leaning back into the chair.

"Tell who what?" I inquired.

"You should tell Milo about James and Nicole's fling and how you feel about him," he replied, shrugging causally. "From the stories you've told me, it sounds like he feels the same way too. And even though he's with Nicole, I'm sure he'd choose you over her."

Sensing my hesitation, he added, "You don't really ever get second chances in life and it seems like life is giving you one. You should take advantage of it."