09 | Meeting the Roommate

"GOOD EVENING, I'm Diane, your waitress for tonight. Can I start you off with any drinks?" She asked while looking between me and James, placing our menus in front of us. Diane looked like she was in her mid-forties with a dirty blonde bob and intense sapphire eyes. A checkered apron with pockets was tied around her waist, housing a pen and notepad.

"I'll have a water," James spoke.

"Make that two," I chimed.

"Alright, I'll be right back." Diane flashed us a smile before sauntering back to the kitchen.

I glanced around Dulcet Diner and observed that the diner was quite empty tonight. Besides James and I, only two other booths were occupied and a low hum of chatter lingered in the air. Dim lights hanging from above paired with the dark maroon booths gave the diner an intimate setting.

A few minutes later, Diane came back with our drinks and I quickly took a huge gulp of water, feeling refreshed. I scoured the menu before settling on what I was going to order, Alfredo linguine with chicken.

"What are you going to order?" I asked James who sat across from me, peering up at him after closing my menu and resting it on the table.

"Mmm, the Mushroom-stuffed Burger sounds good." James stacked his menu on top of mine and pushed it off to the side. "You look pretty tonight," complimented James, leaning in slightly.

"You don't look too bad yourself," I mused, feeling my cheeks heat up. Even though it was a small, meaningless compliment, it still made my heart beat a tad bit quicker.

Thirty minutes passed, and James's roommate and their girlfriend still hadn't shown up yet.

But I didn't really mind.

I constantly wore a smile on my face as James told me numerous embarrassing stories of when he first came to Berkeley. By the end of the night, I was sure that I had a six-pack from all the fits of laughter.

"When's your roommate coming?" I asked curiously, crossing my arms as I leaned on the table.

James pulled out his phone and looked down at the screen, a frown etched on his face.

"Aw, crap. He texted me saying that they can't make it. He forgot that they had already made dinner plans with his girlfriend's parents."

I was about to make a joke about how he probably didn't have a roommate, but decided to suppress my remark in fear of hearing a response that would make me blush. So instead, I settled with an "Oh."

"But since we're here, we might as well order something anyway," said James before flagging down our waitress.

Diane swiftly came over and took down our order. Not long after, she brought out our food and to say that it was delicious was an understatement. It was the bomb dot com.

"I think I've just met my soulmate," I sighed, closing my eyes as I savored the linguine.

"And who may that be?" James asked with a smile, eyebrow quirked.

"This linguine." I twirled the noodles around my fork and took another blissful bite.

"I did not just get outdone by pasta," James gasped melodramatically.