23 | He'll Never Love You

"BE HONEST, what do you think about Hunter?" Ava asked slowly as if she was walking on eggshells, lowering herself beside me on the couch.

"What?" I confusingly asked.

She rolled her eyes as if the question was a simple and obvious one. "What's your opinion on him?"

"I don't know. I've only met him once," I said with an expression on my face that read duh.

The corners of Ava's lips curved up. "Well then that settles it. We're all going to spend some time together, and you two are going to get to know each other." She sprang up from the couch and gripped my wrist, yanking me up with her.

"Woah, wait a second," I said, trying to pry my arm out of Ava's grip, but she clung onto my arm like her life depended on it.

And with that, Ava threw some clothes at me after finally letting go of my arm as she pulled me into her room. "Put this on."

"Ava, wait—"

"Bye!" Ava sang as she ran out of the room and shut the door behind her. I groaned, begrudgingly changing into the clothes she gave me.

"SO WHY DOES my opinion on Hunter matter?" I asked questioningly as I stepped out of Ava's room, smoothing out a wrinkle in my shirt.

I looked up and felt my cheeks begin to gain some warmth as I saw Hunter sitting on the couch a few feet away with Ava seated beside him. He offered me a soft smile as I responded back with a weak one. Ava got up and walked over to me, pulling me back into her room as she quietly closed the door.

"Because," she dragged out, "I really like him, Hads. Even though we've been on a few dates, I really like him a lot already, and I want you guys to like each other because if it becomes serious, I don't want my potential boyfriend and best friend to hate each other. That would be a nightmare."

I chuckled, "Fine." Ava smiled with glee, her eyes lighting up. "So, what are we doing today?"

Ava shrugged, "You'll just have to wait and see." I sighed, not really surprised that she said that.

We walked back out to the living room where Hunter was waiting for us, scrolling on his phone. Ava strolled over to him with a smile on her face, holding out her hand towards him. "Ready?"

He nodded, getting up and taking her hand, intertwining their fingers together.

"Oh, and by the way, this is Hadley. Hadley, this is Hunter. I'm sure you two have met before, right?" Ava said as she looked between the both of us, subtly reminding us of what our names were to each other. He had emerald eyes with golden flecks that reflected the sunlight, which made him enthralling. His fawn hair was swooped back with a light coat of gel and he had a slight shadow of scruff lining his chin.

"You're the girl who answered the door that one time when I had flowers, right?" He said as we shook hands.

"Yeah, that was me," I awkwardly chuckled.

"Well, it's nice to finally meet you properly." Ava pulled the door open and walked with pep in her step, leaving us behind. "Do you know where she's taking us?" He whispered as he watched her walk ahead of us.

"No clue. I'm guessing you don't know either?" He nodded in agreement.