15 | Freed Feelings

"YOU'RE BEING SERIOUS, right? You're not just fucking with me?" Ava squealed over the phone.

"Ava! Geez, language!"

"Sorry, mom," she groaned.

"No, I'm telling the truth. There was a mix-up with our hotel rooms and the hotel is fully booked, so we're rooming together," I whispered so that the other people around me couldn't eavesdrop.

"Wow, fate is really working in your favor right now!" Ava exclaimed.

"Hey, what about James?" I asked amusedly. 

"Honestly, there's no side I'm rooting for anymore. Living vicariously through you is amazing."

I rolled my eyes, "I wish I could say the same."

"So how is it up there? Must be pretty lonely without me, huh?" Ava teased.

I laughed, "Actually, there's this girl I met from our group, her name's Stacey."

Ava gasped, "Wow I thought I was irreplaceable."

In the background, a loud bang echoed through the phone, a box being kicked over.

"Goddammit," Ava said in annoyance. "Well, tell me the rest later on, I have to go."

"Wait, what's going—"

Ava hung up before I could finish my question. It had been a couple days since we first arrived, and things couldn't have been more awkward, at least for me. Every time I was in my hotel room with Milo, my brain would shut down, causing my body to constantly feel tense.

Sighing, I shoved my phone back into my bag as I waited in the lobby with everyone else, waiting for what was to come next. Finally, as Professor Smith stepped off the elevator, a low hush fell over the group.

"One of the attractions we were supposed to visit today closed down unexpectedly for repair so the rest of your morning is free. You all should be mature and responsible enough to handle yourselves, so go wherever as you please. Just make sure that you're back by noon for our afternoon plans."

Immediately, everyone disbursed, some wanting to leave as quickly as possible, while others groaned and went back up to their room to sleep in.

"Hey, you want to do something?" Milo asked from beside.

"Sure," I shrugged nonchalantly. What would I have to lose?

"Great. I know the perfect spot."

"REALLY? I thought we'd be spending our free time outside of the hotel, exploring the city."

"Trust me, it's worth it," claimed Milo. "Besides, we still have," he peeked down at his watch, "ninety minutes left. We'll still have some time to explore."

As we climbed the last flight of stairs, Milo pushed the door open turning around to face me. "Ready?"

I nodded, and he walked out as I followed. Milo walked towards the edge of the spacious balcony.

"Woah," I said breathlessly, taking in the view. I looked down as I scanned the street, watching people as they hurriedly crossed the street and cars honking their horns. My eyes traveled up a building, and I saw Times Square bustling with people. "How did you find this place?"