05 | Still Here

SLOWLY, I ROLLED to my back and uncovered my face. I blinked repeatedly as streaks of sunlight pierced through the window and blinded me. The moment of tranquility vanished as a throbbing sensation ensued, causing me to curse internally and hiss in pain as I rubbed my temple.

Groggily, I pushed myself up, still wearing the same clothes from last night, and looked over to the nightstand, the clock reading twelve o' clock. A bottle of water accompanied by two Advil tablets sat at the edge of it, waiting for me when I woke up.

Without hesitation, I hastily snatched it up and popped the tablets into my mouth, guzzling down giant gulps of water. I closed my eyes once more and drew in a deep breath, trying to remember how I got back to my dorm room. I winced and wished that the earth could swallow me whole as somewhat of the memories from last night started to roll back into my mind. I was a mess.

Everything was a bit fuzzy, but as I recalled last night, I realized that I did, in fact, hear James tell me that he was going to get another drink as we danced together. But I was too drunk and his voice was a faint whisper compared to the raging music that was blasting at an ear-killing decibel.

The air grew thick instantly, and a heavy feeling sunk to my stomach as I realized that what I thought was a dream had actually happened. I kissed Milo on the cheek.

This is why I shouldn't be allowed to go to a party, I tell myself, beginning to feel exasperated because of the stupid shit I did. Why did Drunk Hadley turn around and kiss Milo? But then I paused for a second, wondering why I'd even kiss James on the cheek in the first place.

I began to cringe even more so as I began to remember the other events that followed, which only caused the pit in my stomach to grow even bigger and heavier. Even though I sprinted like my life depended on it, I didn't make it very far from the premise. 

As soon as I made it out of that party, I blacked out for a bit right in front of the building. Yes, I was that fucking drunk.

As I laid on the concrete floor, barely even conscious at that point, I felt a pair of strong arms lift me up, one arm hooking around the back of my thighs while the other wound around my back.

"Who are you?" I slurred, a confused expression plastered on my face.  Subconsciously, I wrapped my arms around their neck and snuggled further into their chest, inhaling their calming scent as they began to stroll leisurely like I was as light as a feather.

"You smell good," I giggled with a stupid, loopy grin on my face, eyes beginning to close. A faint chuckle escaped their lips, their minty breath fanning across my face as they looked down at me.

"Let's get you back to your dorm, hmm?" He said, his voice smooth and comforting.

At that moment, the only thing my brain could conjure up to say was, "Okay." A comfortable silence lingered as Milo carried me the rest of the way back to my dorm.

After using a spare key that Nicole had probably given to him earlier, he gently placed me down on my bed.

And up until that point, I had no recollection of what had happened after. I could feel the embarrassment rushing to my face and crashed back down onto my bed, my body emitting a loud slam against the mattress, and grabbed a pillow, covering my face as I groaned loudly into it.

"Finally! You're up," Ava chirped from the doorway, causing a jolt of energy to surge through me.

"Am I the only one who feels like they got run over by a bus?" I groaned as I rubbed my eyes and forehead.