Shifters and Mates

The next day, my parents told Kairi about our kind. How we kept our existence as a secret to mankind, how slightly different we are from them.

Taiga: (by Haru's bedroom door) Do you need anything from the grocers?
Kairi: I'm good.
Rion: We'll take Aki with us to the store so you could rest.
Aki: See you later, onii-chan, Kairi-nii.
Haru: (he and Kairi waves goodbye to Aki)
Taiga: (closes the door)

A moment of silence..

Haru: (in his room; sitting on his bed)
Kairi: So, let me get this straight, shifters can transform themselves into animals, can be a dog, a cat.. (looks at Haru) A wolf.
Haru: (nods)
Kairi: And more. Also, they can have kids even if both parties are of the same sex?.. Really?
Haru: My parents are mates and Aki did come from their union.
Kairi: Mates?
Haru: Right.. Did they leave that part out?
Kairi: I did hear them mention it, but they lost me with having kids.
Haru: Sigh.. Well.. If humans tend to go on dates, get married then start a family.. In our case, we have what we call mates, our pair or our other half. That is when shifters  would feel a pull or attraction towards another shifter despite what gender or breed. So when the two would meet, they would know right then and there that they are meant to be together.
Kairi: In other words, they'll be together for life.
Haru: Yes, and nothing can break their bond once their paths crossed.
Kairi: Okay.. (pauses for a moment) Your parents are mates..
Haru: (nods) They met in one of shifters gathering.
Kairi: Gathering? Of shifters?
Haru: We do it once a year for the purpose of shifters meeting their mates.
Kairi: I never heard you going to any gatherings.
Haru: .. I don't need to..
Kairi: Wait! Don't tell me, you have met your mate?
Haru: Maybe..
Kairi: Then why haven't you introduced me to him or her? I'm your childhood friend and your bestfriend. You could at least tell me.
Haru: Easy said than done..