Chapter 3: Black Beauty

The next day, Rey was better prepared to make the trek to Agriculture from Music Ensemble

The next day, Rey was better prepared to make the trek to Agriculture from Music Ensemble. She made certain that she had everything needed for Agricultural Sciences before she went to the morning music class, which was located at the front half of the school near the entrance, not secluded from society like Mr. Solo's class. When the period bell rang at 8:40 A.M. Rey was one of the first students to leave class, without making it too obvious that she was anxious to get to her new destination. She walked at a semi-fast pace, not wanting to look like she was running a marathon.

It wasn't until Rey was halfway down the Ag hall when she started second-guessing her decision to show up early. Had he been making fun of her, or was he genuinely hoping for her to make the day a repeat of the former?

Then, there was also a slight hint of optimism that she was able to pinpoint in Mr. Solo's voice at that time. It made the butterflies in her stomach gradually subside, encouraging her to question what it was, precisely, that these emotions toward him meant. It really, really was a bad idea for her to continue initiating this – concept – when he clearly was a professional that took pride in his job. She paused outside the threshold of his classroom, talking herself down from the momentary state of panic and into a more rational state of mind.

It definitely wouldn't hurt to just hold a friendly conversation with him – that was something that could be considered 'acceptable.' Because every student had that one teacher whom of which they could relate to, and consider them a person to confide in when needed. She repeated the notion in her head several times before making her grand entrance.

Just like he had been doing the day before, Mr. Solo was sitting in the same ridiculously small desk next to hers, heavily engrossed in reading his book to notice she was there at first. Having his hands holding the paperback piece of literature open on the desk, she was able to get a glimpse of the novel's back cover. It was a boyish-shade of blue, complimenting the darker shade of denim on his plaid shirt that he sported for the day.

He sure does like wearing plaid.

Claiming the desk alongside his, Rey caught a brief glimpse of the book's title, running down the spine of the cover in a black calligraphy-style font, before Mr. Solo finally pried his attention from the pages and looked at her. His expression border-lined that of surprise and being pleased to see her, precisely the look that Rey was hoping to see.

"Good morning, Miss Kanata."

"Black Beauty?" Rey immediately asked as she sat sideways in her seat to face him, arching a brow. She planted the books and trapper keeper in her arms on the desk. "I never would've pegged you as one to have such unusual taste in literature, Mr. Solo."

Ben scoffed at the statement and cleared his throat, closing the novel and placing it face down on the desk.

"It's a classic," he corrected in defense and turned only his head towards her. "I always liked the message it carried."