Chapter 9: Lessons in Riding

The morning after Rey's first visit to Solo-Skywalker Ranch appeared livelier

The morning after Rey's first visit to Solo-Skywalker Ranch appeared livelier. Other than the morning's chilly temperature with a gentle mist remaining from the rain that rolled in the night before, a hand full of students from surrounding county schools came to the plantation for equestrians to enjoy all that was left of their weekend. Some rode for pleasure while others practiced for pre-registered competitions taking place at the Free Fall County Fair, precisely the same week leading up to Rey's birthday.

Following Ben through the dining room's French doors to the back patio, brandishing a cup of freshly brewed coffee in one hand with a half-eaten snicker doodle in the other, Rey could barely hear the sound of a horse whinnying in protest to its master's command. She presumed the subtle dispute was coming from one of the three stallions seen in the riding arena upon their arrival earlier on.

Jango, Rex, and Cody: if she wanted to be precise.

Rex and Cody were two of the Solos' youngest stallions, which Rey remembered Ben introducing during the tour of the property the day before when the horses were grazing in their pasture. Cody was a russet-brown Morgan with a sandy-colored mane and tail. Rex looked exactly the same, aside from the white sock above his right back hoof with a temperament as equally mellow as its companion's.

Jango was a dark, stormy shade of grey with lighter hues speckled along his coat. Ben had made a comment then that Jango's personality compared greatly to the stallion's very distinguished appearance.

"That would be Jango," Ben grunted, confirming Rey's suspicion as if he had means to read her thoughts. "He can be an asshole and thinks he's his own boss at times."

Rey nodded at first, having taken a bite from the delicious sustenance moments prior to Ben talking. She chewed her food quickly, not wanting to give him an eye full of mashed-up food when she spoke. "I was just about to say," she admitted. "I remember you saying he had some spunk to him yesterday."

"I'd say 'having spunk' would be a bit of an understatement," Ben affirmed. "He's just an asshole."

"Kinda like how you said Kylo was a prick?" Rey remarked with a brow arched, taking a sip from her coffee.

"Kylo's reasons are valid for having trust issues – Jango's aren't. He just doesn't like someone being the boss of him. I applaud Tallie for putting up with him for as long as she has."

"Fair enough," Rey nodded, taking in the last bite of her cookie. Brushing her hand over the length of her shorts to rid of any sugar and crumbs left behind on her fingers, she proceeded to walk the short distance alongside Ben towards the barn. "Did you ever compete?" she asked, shoving her hand that wasn't holding the coffee cup inside her hoodie's front pouch.

Ben nodded, pushing both hands up to his knuckles into the front pockets of his jeans. "I did," he huffed. "Every year the fair came I competed at least four out of the six days it was in town. The days were long, but it was fun as hell. It sure beat staying in school at times."