Chapter 5: Get to know me, Get to know you

"Alright child, spill the beans," Maz demanded, raising a brow that extended beyond the rims of her glasses

Rey paused mid-bite of her General Tsao's chicken, which Maz so kindly brought home after her 12-hour shift at the hospital. The piece of food was long past the state of turning into mush inside her mouth, not realizing she had drifted into a daydream.

Minding her manners, Rey swallowed her food and gave her aunt a nonchalant shrug. "About school? It wasn't too bad. Other than almost being late to one of my classes because a trombone player thought it would be funny to conk a clarinet player in the back of her head with his tuning slide. The director apparently found it fitting to punish the entire class for those few that found it funny."

"Is that why you've gone away to la-la land?" Maz inquired with amusement in her tone. "Because some brass player boned a woodwind?"

"Maz!"

"I'm not talking with my head in the gutter like you kids do nowadays," Maz corrected, shoveling a mixture of fried rice and beef onto her fork. "It was simply another name that we used to say whenever a trombone player would hit someone on accident. We used to call them 'boners.'"

"You can't just go around saying 'boners' and think that people are going to assume you're talking about instrumental terms," Rey countered, motioning her hands over the table to prove the significance of her point.

Maz snorted, eliciting a harsh pfft with her lips. "We hippies practically invented the term back in my day. Anyhow, that's not what I meant when I asked you to spill the beans."

Rey scoffed and shoved a larger piece of chicken into her mouth, hindering her ability to speak. It was something that Rey discovered to have its uses, especially when it came to the topic of discussing boys, considering moments in the past where Maz's unfiltered mouth rendered her face to turn a sunburnt shade of red.

"You may have to be a bit more specific," Rey muttered from the corner of her mouth, feigning ignorance. "Cause I really have no idea what you're talking about."

Maz's gaze sharpened as she swallowed a more modest portion of food, her eyes resembling the Mariana Trench through the thick lenses with bifocals.

"Oh, Rey. I was your age once, too, you know. I see your eyes and I know when there's a boy lingering at the back of a girl's thoughts."

Rey frowned, chewing her food slower. "There isn't anyone," she lied. "Well, there are a couple guys who are fairly attractive at school, but they're just friends."

Maz hummed and raised her brows suggestively. "So, you're saying that there's no reason why you've taken no more than five bites of your food?"

"I'm just tired is all," Rey sighed, dropping her fork onto her plate. "I'm still trying to get used to these six o'clock schedules."