Chapter 16: Healing of Old Wounds

Rey could smell breakfast before she had even stepped out of the shower: freshly fried eggs and sausage, to be exact, with a trace of butter that her senses presumed to be from toast

Rey could smell breakfast before she had even stepped out of the shower: freshly fried eggs and sausage, to be exact, with a trace of butter that her senses presumed to be from toast. Breathing in the steam that lingered within the small space that was Ben's master bathroom, her mouth watered as the hearty aroma nipped at her taste buds.

Given the fact that her parental guardian was a renowned workaholic, the times during which she'd been able to recall smelling anything homemade at her apartment were rare. And those few times when Maz did actually cook felt more like a national holiday than the average, every day meal.

She hurriedly wrung the water from her drenched hair with a towel, leaving it to air dry to its natural wave. After dabbing the remainder of her body off, she proceeded to reach for her cheekiest pair of berry-blue boyshorts, brandishing blush-colored hearts from her duffle with an ivory tank. Bending to grab the pair of skinny jeans and hoodie that was left in the bag, a devious grin rippled across her face.

"Then, again, maybe not," Rey murmured and withdrew her hand from the articles of clothing, bearing in mind all that'd transpired between her and Ben the night before.

That fine line of refraining to engage in explicit acts of pleasure had officially been crossed, and Rey wondered how easy it would be to coax Ben into a recap before their trip to the ranch if she were to forego the other items of apparel during breakfast.

She tidied up what she could of her discarded belongings, including the borrowed towel and t-shirt of Ben's, before joining him in the kitchen. During her brief walk down the short corridor, leading from the dwelling's bedroom and bathroom to the kitchen and main sitting space, she realized that his apartment was just as plain as the timeline was to his Facebook.

Not much of the décor stemmed beyond the pad's basic necessities. There were a few photographs and blue ribbons nestled inside designated shadow boxes, situated accordingly on top of shelves among books in the 5-tier bookshelf that stood flanking the sliding door to the balcony.

A rustic-looking entertainment stand along the adjacent wall supported the 50-inch flat-screen television.  A spherical-shaped coffee table sat at the center of the charcoal, micro suede sofa and matching loveseat, harboring stacks of ungraded papers and a few agricultural textbooks. Two end tables were stationed at opposing sides of the sofa, each sustaining an hour glass-shaped lamp with an alabaster linen lampshade, matching the hue of the balcony's drawn-open curtains.

Rey made a mental note to examine the photographs at a closer range before she and Ben were obliged to leave. Now, her awareness was drawn to the fierce growl that extended from the hollow crater inside her stomach, and to the zesty aroma of breakfast sausage coming from the kitchen to her right. A small island counter, brandishing a pair of barstools, segregated the kitchen space from the rest of the main sitting space.

Ben was standing across from it, shirtless, his back facing her. Observing how oblivious he remained to her presence as he was busily distributing their food onto individual serving plates, Rey took the opportunity to come up behind him undetected. Drawing her bottom lip beneath an incisor, she padded her way quietly towards him, releasing a soft giggle when he flinched as her fingers came in contact with the bare skin of his shoulders.